Fly Tying

Stem holder? I've looked online, and I don't see any vise accessory that is made with thread.

Do you have a picture of the item you're asking about, Art?

Take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and try it in the sizing tool.

It could be metric, though I think the Atlas vises are made in the U.S. Most of the imported stuff is all metric so you have to be careful not to strip the threads by forcing the unified.

My apex vise has a 3/8" stem and doesn't screw into the base. It's held in there by the base screw. Otherwise, a 3/8 stem fits into the vise head. I think a standard vise stem fits, and believe I've used a longer one before. My base stem is flat on the bottom that goes into the base.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, which I frequently do.

solved (i think).....

it is a 3/8-32 UNEF thread. it is used in the electronics field for variable resistors. this explains why the sizers at Home Depot didn't work and why it isn't on a NC/NF chart.

now for the impossible. finding a nut that is 3/4' thick with that thread pitch.

He said a 3/4" thick nut. Why one that thick....I don't know.

I find it hard to believe that they used a unef thread. Are you sure it has 32 threads per inch? It may have, but that sure is weird. The only place I've seen them used is as thin jam nuts or lock nuts on electrical devices. I have no idea how they would be use to vary electrical resistance. 🤔

ah yes thick

hard to speculate why its needed

i too find it hard to believe its a unef thread. that certainly wouldnt be needed on a fly tying vise stem

most times a picture is worth a thousand words. how about a picture?

He said a 3/4" thick nut. Why one that thick....I don't know.

I find it hard to believe that they used a unef thread. Are you sure it has 32 threads per inch? It may have, but that sure is weird. The only place I've seen them used is as thin jam nuts or lock nuts on electrical devices. I have no idea how they would be use to vary electrical resistance.

this is what i meant.

hard to speculate why its needed

i too find it hard to believe its a unef thread. that certainly wouldnt be needed on a fly tying vise stem

most times a picture is worth a thousand words. how about a picture?

the long and the short of it is,,,,,,,i want to make a pedestal base out of concrete. i need the nut, to embed in the concrete, to receive the vise stem holder.

i was really stumped about the thread size at first as well. it wasn't until i counted them and Googled, that i was able to figure out it was a unef thread. the only reason that i can figure that Wolff went with this thread pitch is because of how fine the pitch is for the application. the holder has a lock nut that is tightened after the position of the finger nut for the stem is determined. this prevents more of the base threads being exposed. unfortunately, it also ensures that this vise/stem is not used with any other pedestal then the one provided.

(look by the yellow hopper fly)

solved (i think).....

it is a 3/8-32 UNEF thread. it is used in the electronics field for variable resistors. this explains why the sizers at Home Depot didn't work and why it isn't on a NC/NF chart.

now for the impossible. finding a nut that is 3/4' thick with that thread pitch.

It WILL be impossible. You'll have better luck if you can do a little "machining."

Most tool stores will have a tap the right size. If you can find the right size piece of brass or aluminum, you should be able to tap it.

Or ... you don't really NEED a nut that is the full length of the base. Only the "hole" needs to be deep enough ... regular sized nut will do fine.