Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Po0gs

2 questions..kinda

One is my Grandparents just bought me a book Called "Hooked," by Roland Martin, more and more i read the little fly fishing stuff in there, i realize, i want/need a good and effective Crayfish pattern. If anyone could supply me with tying structions that would be great, or show me what yours all look like.

Secondly, Stacking Deer Hair: Who would have thought i struggle so much, When i try and stack it it is ugh awful. Its bare on the bottom, and the hair is all over, its a mess, does anyone out there have a good "tutorial" for stacking deer hair?

Thanks all who help, Im hoping to gt some good flies in before pre-spawn bass season.

Thanks.

~Po0gs~

Also, anyone have good patterns for a simple marabou streamer.? thanks

This is the simpliest marabou srtimer , but is also very efectiv.

Tie one end of marabou heckle on hook (1-2cm it is 1/2-1" from hook eye), then wrap heckl around hook.When you rich hook eye, wrap it and cut rest of heckle. Add topping you can use flash, peacock,angler hair.....Tie lead eyes or bead chain eyes. Wrap finsh.

You also can :epoxy head and stick prizmatic eyes, on each side add grizzly feathers, add zonker stip, or heckles for tail.... wink.gif wink.gif

user posted image

If one of the questions was: "Who would have thought i struggle so much?" That would be just about everyone.

Stacking deer hair is tricky. But here's a few tips that helped me learn.

1. Don't start with a pattern just a hook and some hair - just worry about spinning the hair and not abouy making anything just yet.

2. Use the right hair - you want hollow hair not bucktail, and clip the tips of the hair to start that part isn't hollow.

3. Clean it. Make sure you remove all the fuzz at the base of it - that stuff is like cement when you go to spin.

4. Start small. The golden rule is use a stack the size of a pencil - go for a toothpick at first.

5. The technique I use is gentle - gentle - strong. Meaning I make two very gentle wraps of thread and then I pull hard on the third - use the same thread all the time at first to get a feel for its limitations. I use mono - it works for me and I use it for nearly everything.

You aren't alone nearly everyone has sworn at deer hair - but once you learn it you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Finally crawfish pattern

Tie a clouser in orange and brown...

SJ

PS

Stop listening to Roland Martin - SON!!! SON!!!

haha thanks man, the second qyestion was more of a general outlook, how in heck do u spin hair. thanks thoguh man that helps