Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bryan_w

Mustad 3906b question

I was looking at a recipe for a wooly bugger and the hook that was called for was a 3906b 1xl. I can only find a 3906b and a 3906b 2xl. Is there such a thing as a 1xl or is 3906b assumed to be 1xl?

3906B always used to be a 1xl hook. Now they are listed as 2XL. I don't really know when or why the designation changed. IMHO it's on the short side for a Wooly Bugger. I use a 3XL hooks.

I've tied many many nymphs on the 3906B hooks and liked them very much. I always thought them to be 1xi though. I noticed in looking them up recently that they have a slightly longer look to them than I recall and now see this posting on them being 2xl. Interesting, I just thought that it was the photo LOL. I will follow the thread, Ive used many 3906B hooks over the years and am currently out of them.

Edit: as others mention 9671, I use those as well though the shank appears a little lighter weight than on the 3906 series hooks.. 9671 is a good sharp option if a bit longer as well..

All of my 3906B's are the older version; never measured them but I guess they're 1XL. For Buggers, I've always liked longer shank hooks; usually tie them on 9671's or 9672's; just my 1/50th of a dollar.

Regards,

Scott

Not sure about the 1x or 2x designation but I used the 9602 larger nymphs and like SBPatt I use a 9671 for buggers.

a 3906B is a great size for a beadhead nymph. The extra length just about makes up for the bead, and the heavier wire adds a bit of weight to help get it down.

In my opinion, shared with several others, is that the 3906B is too short for a woolybugger. My preferred hook is a 9672. Of course, the 9672 is standard wire, so it needs a bit more weight added.

Since switching manufacturing to China, Mustad has trashed their whole line of hooks. All of the numbers and specifications seem to have changed, and I rarely buy Mustad anymore. For buggers, I have been happy with Green Caddis 5262 hooks, in sizes 6 and 8. Unfortunately, Will seems to be a bit low on stock, right now....

I mainly use the TMC 9395. It's a straight eye 4XL. I also use Eagle Claw Aberdeen style hooks which I think are 3XL and their cricket hook which is 6XL

Found a great buy on ebay and bought 2000 - 3906 size 12's

100_3391.jpg

and 2000 - 3906B size 10's

100_3393.jpg

Lot of them changed when they switched to the new Signature Series. Lots of folks look for the older ones.

nobody remembers the sky falling around 2005 when mustad canned all of their "classic" fly hooks for the now more or less "standard" sized "signature" series fly hooks?

http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/sign_sign.htm

Hook Design - Newly developed technical specifications provide proportionally accurate bends, gaps, and shank lengths across each hook category, for more accurate scaling of fly patterns.

http://www.mustad.no/products/premium/signature/sign_intro.htm

New terminology and nomenclature

The Mustad Alpha Code system, for the first time introduced with the Signature Series, is a concept that represents a totally new way of characterising and classifying fish hooks.

Previously, there has been no standard for classifying different fly hooks with regard to gap, length, wire diameter and bend. Terms such as 2 extra long or 2 extra heavy have only had a meaning when talking about one and the same hook pattern. There has never been a logical system across different hook patterns for knowing what is "the standard" shank length, wire diameter, etc. The introduction of the Alpha Code HookSelect system, developed by Geir Sivertzen at Mustad, has solved this problem. In co-operation with some of the best fly tiers in the world, Sivertzen has come up with a simple system that makes sense.

the signature hook chart

http://www.mustad.no/signature/signature_chart09.html

nobody remembers the sky falling around 2005 when mustad canned all of their "classic" fly hooks for the now more or less "standard" sized "signature" series fly hooks?

http://www.mustad.no/signature/signature_chart09.html

Thanks for that flytire !

I've noticed on the 94840 hooks in particular that they have a more normal gape and bend design than in the past. I recently ( within the past year) purchased new stock of 94840 hooks and was pleasantly surprised.

Found a great buy on ebay and bought 2000 - 3906 size 12's

100_3391.jpg

and 2000 - 3906B size 10's

100_3393.jpg

Lot of them changed when they switched to the new Signature Series. Lots of folks look for the older ones.

What do the two different suffix designations indicate ?

3906/b = hook number

np = needle point

br = bronze

Thanks.

OK so the 12's are needle point bronze. I see no B designation and Fatman listed no B designation.. So they are standard 3906's not 2x long.

3906 = standard length

3906b = 1xl (old designation)

S82NP-BR (old ref. S82-3906B) new designation = 2xl

again - its all on the mustad website