Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bryan_w

Mustad 3906b question

Just an aside. It's funny, the old Mustad's were what everybody used when I began tying about 35 years ago.They were fine and then they changed them. Why, I don't know. I don't think their business got better.

who really knows why they changed but i guess in the greater scheme of things its probably irrelevant. they havent gone belly up so the must still be selling hooks

there will be fan boys for just about everything and hooks will be no different

who really knows why they changed but i guess in the greater scheme of things its probably irrelevant. they havent gone belly up so the must still be selling hooks

there will be fan boys for just about everything and hooks will be no different

It matters to me because I just ran out of the old 3906B hooks I had and tied almost all of a particular caddis emerger pattern on. If they are longer etc. than they were for the last 25 years of my now depleted inventory, then that matters for that pattern. To Me. It may not matter to you, LOL, but it does to Me. So now I need to find a hook with about the same proportions as the old 3906B had and in particular in size 12 and 14. That's why I showed such interest in the thread.

Also midges, the old Accupoint hooks also have changed and or are gone. Most of my Midge emergers were tied on those hooks.

so adapt

hook_zps7nnxmwng.jpg

google "hook conversion charts" and find an equivalent

tie it shorter on the shank

rb115.1_6.jpg

use the 3906

so adapt

hook_zps7nnxmwng.jpg

google "hook conversion charts" and find an equivalent

Yep of course adapt, I will when I tie again lol ! In Jan and Feb I generally go on a tying binge. But I do need to replace those 3906B hooks in size 12 anyway. In fact my 14's are not B's either. This just came up last week for me. I was thinking along the lines of you, drop the old 12B's back to 14B and the 14B's back to 16B. Of course the gape will change a bit.

According to the cross reference chart from Hook & Hackle the Tiemco 3769 would be a direct replacement for the Mustad 3906B. But the Daiichi conversion chart shows their 1560 may be a better choice

The Tiemco equivalent to the 3906B should be a 3761, which is a 1XL. The 3769 is a standard length hook, equivalent to the 3906.

I use the 3761 or the Daiichi 1560.

Although I like TMC hooks and use TMC hooks in size 24, nothing wrong with them. Except I feel they are over priced for a wet fly hook to replace a run of the mill 3906B. Just sayin.

Daiichi has promise. I've already looked at them to replace my old Accupoint series hooks as they run out ( curved scud and caddis hooks). As well as the Mustad 49S.

One of the things Mustad did by changing over to the Signature hook style was putting 50 hooks in a pack and charging more for them.

Next couple of alternatives that are really close are:

DAI-RIKI #060

TMC 3761
Daiichi 1560
Togens - Nymph Hook 1X Long Size Product ID: 1218538-12, they are a lighter colored hook like the TMC.
If you try their hooks sign up for their email specials and it will give you a code for 10% off your first order
They also offer a 1000 pack of hooks and you can mix/match quantities of 100 ea. to add up to the 1000, but the page is down right now.

Bugsy,

That post was interesting. When I first started tying the first thing we were told in class was that brand A 6/0 and 8/0 thread was not the same as brand B. The same was also true for hooks. They may be close but not the same.

The pictures you have show the differences between hook manufacturers though they are packaged as the same size. It would be interesting to how hooks "measured" up in a metrology lab. Thanks again.