Fly Tying

Has anyone fished with one of these rods yet? I really liked the Mojo Bass Spinning Rods. They were a decent price and decent quality, my only problem ever with them was the guide inserts would break or just come out. I'm looking to get an 8wt and these rods are sitting right in the $150 range.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/fly-fishing/mojo-bass-fly

That rod is built on an SCII blank, and it's 'short' - 7 foot, 11 inches.

Never queued up for the short bass flyrod koolaid craze.

For my self, throwing large bass flies a long ways on a heavy WF line requires a fast-action longer rod.

9, 10, 11 foot & at least an SCIII or SCIV blank.

Caveat Emptor &YMMV.

but... it says "BASS" on it, so it must be awesome!!!!

All these 7'11" rods which you can ONLY catch bass with, were apparently designed so BASCAR drivers in their clown suits can win tournaments with them. It's happened just about zero times.

Faulty hardware on a $150 rod? That's not "decent quality" in my opinion.

If in the market I'd buy one in a NY minute.

St Croix builds tough rods and they back them up! I have used them on GL salmon and they take a beating and fight fish with power to spare. Lifting 'hogs' out of the aquatic greenery and stopping a big one in his tracks should be right up their alley. I would go for the 9wt though and try a 10wt line on it if you have one. Powerful rods can use the extra loading sometimes.

As for length, Bass Pro also has some bass fly rods well under 9' and they know the market they serve. I have used a home made 7' 5 wt rod on gills and managed bass to four-five pounds who crashed the party with no sweat but only in fairly open water.

Rocco

I havent used the MoJo for fly I have two I use for surfcasting and they performed impeccably. I did have one break in the butt. I sent it back and they gave me a new one. I cant say they are a great rod,But they are better than average. the company does stand behind their product 100%. Which is almost unheard of these days. If you are having problems with the rod I suggest you send it back. they will make good on it.

I

As for length, Bass Pro also has some bass fly rods well under 9' and they know the market they serve. I have used a home made 7' 5 wt rod on gills and managed bass to four-five pounds who crashed the party with no sweat but only in fairly open water.

Rocco

the 7' 11" length is not based on any performance factor. Lots and lots of 7-1/2 foot rods out there, used to be sort of a standard length. I have a 7-1/2 foot classic Phillipson glass rod, and a 7' 3wt, love them. The 7' 11" length of these "BASS" rods are specifically because B.A.S.S. tournament rules state no rods over 8 feet long. Sage started this with the high hopes someone might win (or at least podium) a tournament using one. To my knowledge, nada. Other companies tried to jump on as well. If someone could show some performance gain over, say, an 8' 1" rod, I'd listen. As it stands, it's only marketing hype.

I just did a little research on the topic and came across some interesting (to me anyway) details.

Scott is also in the short bass rod business.

One of the chief advantages cited in short bass rod reviews is casting accuracy with big flies. They tout the ability to effortlessly put big flies right on the spot desired at moderate ranges -- say 60'-- all day. (Reaching further out does not apparently give the same results in terms of ease of casting or pin point accuracy.) Apparently the ability to manage large air resistant flies is due to the use of short, heavy, front taper lines and faster action rods. Modern rods are much lighter than the old versions which could wear you down faairly quickly.

The upper end SAGE Bass II comes with a purpose designed Sage line for ONLY $550. (That is nearly 4x times the cost of the Mojo.)

The Mojo comes with a 5 year warranty. It is designed here here and made in Mexico.

I gave up boat-based bassing long ago but the prospect of stealthily skirting a shore line or weed bed and probing the cover with a responsive fly rod and big flies could relight that old fire.

Rocco

let me know when that fire begins to burn a little brighter

i have a twice used sage 8ft 11in bass rod and sage specific fly line i'll let go for $200 large. i'll even throw in an okuma fly reel

I know some folks that own or have used the Sage Bass rods with mixed opinons.

The reason for the length is you can't use an 8' plus rod in a sanctioned BASS event. That rule came about because when flipping was gaining in popularity some of the rod lengths were getting flat out stupid.

Though I have no tournament experience I have heard at one time they tried one day of fly rod only at some of the lesser tournaments. As you might expect when no fish were being caught everyone was trying to fall back to what they knew. Spinnerbaits and fly rods don't mix well.

I do a lot of fly fishing for bass and also used to be one of those Bascar guys. The reason these 7' 11" rods never caught on in bass tournaments is because very few of these guys have any idea how to fly fish. Rod companies were trying to create a market that didn't exist and since most of them have no idea what goes on in a bass tournament they did a poor job of it.

A couple of years ago I was able to pick up a 7' 11" 8wt rod at a ridiculous price. It's now my favorite rod and I have never fished a tournament with it and never plan on it. I'm not going to say it's better that a 9 or 10 foot rod because everybody has a different style. But for me it is better than a longer rod for many reasons. I will never give it up.

I follow the hype trail on the mojo to some degree; mostly because I really want to hear about anyone who scores well in a bass pro tourney with a flyrod.

Me, I'm not in fly fishing to out-compete anyone in catching fish. I'm also a baitcaster for bass, and I have a hard time accepting even a remote chance that a flyrodder would stand a chance in a tourney. Now, a separate class for flyrods on the pro tour, now we're talking!

I guess that's all digress. I like St Croix rods, I'm sure the mojo is a good rod.

I wonder whether my 9' rods will be obsolete in 20 years (already happening with spey and switch rods). I never did find out exactly why 9 feet became a standard anyway. Truth be told, if the "standard" when I bought my first modern rod was 7'11" I bet I'd be happy with it. I'd adapt my fishing to it.

Final note: the mojo first got my attention because I'm a kayak fisherman for bass. I use lots of long power casts, but the idea of a shorter rod intrigues me. It is also at a price point where I don't mind experimenting a bit; there's storage space for several rods on my rigging. Still thinking about it.