Fly Tying
BnD

lamson or hardie?

BnD,

depends on what you want to spend. They are both really good reel makers. I am particular to Hardy have everything from a fly weight for 2/3 weight up to a 9/10 Uniqua for my 12' 7 weight two hander. Hardy makes a wide range of reels from the old style perfect to the ultra modern Fortuna. I have several of the newer DD lightweight large arbor reels and highly recommend them. they have all worked flawless, have a very smooth drag with low start up. Right now is a good time to pick one up as they have been changed and are being discounted by many shops. I have not use a Lamson but a good friend I guide with uses them exclusively and can not say enough good things.

steve

Yep! The dd = disc drag reel you can even use the palm drag brake on! I have 1 3000dd 2x 4000dd 3x 7000dd one in black & 1 9000dd! 7000dd is the best pike reel ever invented, light, large arbor, only 50m of backing needed for pike, disc drag is not needed either but the spool is so you can put your palm hard! Also see if you can find a angel 2 reel still? I only have 4/5 but some people say best double hand reel ever!

In my mind, Lamson and Hardy are opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to reel design (i'm thinking of the classic series hardy). i assume you mean the disc drag versions of hardy reels which i haven't paid much attention to.

They're both good reels. consider Galvan too. (this list could grow huge).

eric

fresno, ca.

I am in the galvan camp. I fish the salt a lot. I don't always follow the wash after each trip. But you can tear down the galvan and clean it and put it back to gather with like new preformance. I just went through a deep clean with it and it feels almost new. I have the rush reels in 4/5 and 6/7. They are work horses in my mind pretty much nothing better or more durable on the market. They are also nice people I have met them at ICAST. So all in all that is my go to.

i recently bought a king fisher 8-9 weight reel. looks cool and works just fine.plus it didnt kill the bank

I've never had or fished with a Hardy, but I have 4 Lamson reels and they are real good. Have a good smooth drag, and I have had to have a repair which covered under warranty. They Had the reel fixed and returned in 4 days.

thanks for the replies guys...I've decided on a reel...ill let u know what i went with when i recieve it ;)

I don't like to spend huge amounts of money on a line holder. I use my hand a lot when fighting Stripers. It's not because I possess some special powers or anything like that. It's because I don't trust any of it. And, you will never know your rod's capabilities till you over squeeze one in half. Even for Yellow fin on my Sage One I will not have a mechanical drag set. It's just more fun that way.

I won't be spending huge amounts...found this one...www.shadowflyfishing.com gladiator reel 9/10wt :)

All these opinions on quality brand name reels, and you went with a no name $125 gamble? Let us know how it works out for you, especially in the long run. I hope it's as nice as it looks.

All these opinions on quality brand name reels, and you went with a no name $125 gamble? Let us know how it works out for you, especially in the long run. I hope it's as nice as it looks.

It does seem like an interesting choice given you could get a Lamson Guru 4 or Hardy Ultralite 9000DD for $20 - $40 more right now and know you have a quality reel. On a different forum someone did make a great point about situations like this, saying no one knew who Allen or Lamson or Orvis or Sage were at one point and someone has to be the first. Let us know how the new reel works out.

I won't be spending huge amounts...found this one...www.shadowflyfishing.com gladiator reel 9/10wt smile.png

I just hope you DID buy the $125.00 whole reel, and not the $70.00 spool that came up first on the link.

i didn't see a link but i copied and pasted the URL. the 9-10 reel is a $144.99 gamble :) i too found it odd to go with a "no-name" after great suggestions of established companies but i've done the same in the past. look at that Colton reel i have sitting unused in a box somewhere. just do not fish a lamson, hardy or galvan beyond that 10 day period, or after, and you should be ok. ignorance can be bliss. he has 10 days to determine whether he wants to keep it.

My #1 concern with a reel for salmon/steelhead would be the durability of the drag. Hard to judge that in 10 days. 10lb fish making long runs on 4lb tippet is what I think of when I think steelhead. Most reels feel silky smooth at first. When thd 5th fish of the day shows me my backing, I like the confidence my Lamson gives me.

I use a lot of the force/vanquish reels in the surf here. I have 12 years on one and it's never been factory serviced. If I need a new clutch, it's usually in my mail box 3 days after a phone call to Idaho. Hardy reels are made in China/Korea. They're owned by pure fishing, and after watching a couple of friends spend months trying to get a warranty claim on a couple rods, I'm not so sure that Hardy is the company that a lot of you think they are.