Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

Size 12 caddis attractor pattern tied on a jig hook. Really comes to life when it gets wet.

Got a recipe for that one?

I'm glad you posted the wet pic...changed my opinion of the pattern from a B or even a B- while dry to an A to A+.

January and February in Florida, means the Shad run is in progress. Plenty of 18 to 22 inch Shad running up the St Johns river until March or April. They are a great fly rod fish, and are not all that fussy on what pattern, as long as its small and near the bottom. At times they will also hit on Mosquito fish patterns stripped near the surface. Here are some of my recent efforts.

Nice !

People tell me the Shad run up here in the North River too in the winter months and into March. I've never made it there to investigate with NE winters generally pretty nasty and all. And if we get a break it will be here on Cape Cod vs another 30-35 miles north give or take a few miles.. Seems funny the shad run up there and not down here in our estuaries. But then in Feb we can have pretty decent sea run trout running. I haven't fished for those in years though. What's the point of this message ? I don't know.

Henrik, it looks like your skills are pretty well built.

Joseph, I like that pattern, would work down here for something I am sure.

Today I went old school and did some very simple buck tail patterns, noting specific just for practice. Then a classic salt water pattern from Joe Brooks, The Blonde. I still have to trim the weed guard on that one.

post-12074-0-92567800-1452639367_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-37318700-1452639374_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-82247800-1452639380_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-49422100-1452639388_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-86559100-1452639399_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-99237700-1452639408_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-40604900-1452639427_thumb.jpg

Thanks Utyer, it gets eaten alot, bass, panfish, catfish, redfish , trout well you get the idea. Its a very delicate presentation and it rides hook up. Its a carp fly but ive been hooked on using it for everything else!

I like the classic bucktail you tied up!

Decided to join a Carp fly swap my buddy was organizing. I've never fished for them nor tied carp flies but I kind of just came up with one based on what I've seen. I think it came out pretty decent. Might have to start going after a few.

19s7dc.jpg

2j4vimt.jpg

Sitting in a hotel, or going to fly tying meetings ... just some more flies I tied this trip.