Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
outdoorsmanfool

Cant figure out the egg fly...

Seems like every time i try to tie the egg fly pattern (with yarn) i come across 2 problems. The first problem is when i do complete the pattern the yarn doesn't seem to have the fluffy look to it and you can easily see the yarn where it wrapped around it. The 2nd problem is when its done the yarn will easily spin around the hook for some reason i try to put a good base wrap on the hook but it doesn't seem to help... any tips will help, thanks!

I guess you may have already read this, but if you put a little SHAN on the thread base, it should stick. Or you could use Super Glue. Second is if you pull the yarn straight up and cut it straight across, it should release into be a round egg shape. I use "egg yarn". Very full.

As per usual with "how to" threads ... if you would post pictures of the fly(ies) with the problem(s) you're having, it makes it much easier for the knowledgeable to help.

McFly foam or similar products is also used for making eggs. I tried it the last time I tied some eggs and thought it behaved a little better as far as producing a nicely shaped egg. The guy that showed me how to use McFly foam showed how he rolled the foam into a pretty small diameter 'rope' and then tied that to the hook. Pretty sure you can use different colors to represent the 'blood dot' - for certain you can use marker for the dot too.

BCT

Here is a link to a pattern called Ten Second Egg. I have used this method and it does take ten seconds.

http://tippecanoeflyfishers.proboards.com/thread/846/tying-10-second-egg

I am trying to do every step that he shows and my yarn just doesn't seem to have the "fluff" it needs i guess.. cause i am currently trying to use glo bugs yarn and it just doesn't react the same as others people's yarn... so i am kinda stumped.

your favorite hook

hook.jpg

your favorite glue

zap.jpg

your favorite pompom

poms.jpg

stab a pompom onto the hook, add a drop of crazy glue to the shank and push the pompom into position

glo+bugs.jpg

Forget the pen. Lay the yarn or foam on top of the hook and tie it down with only THREE thread wraps and a locking wrap on both sides. cut thread. Pull BOTH ends of the yarn up TIGHT and together. Cut. It will be round but may need some minor final trimming.

Glo Bug Yarn will work, but not nearly as well as McFly Foam. I use a size 14 scud hook, and 6/0 Uni-Thread. Uni-Thread is stronger, for it's size, than most other threads, so you can pull it tighter without a lot of bulk. I use two 1/2 inch long pieces of yarn, one on each side of the hook shank. I bind them down with 6 turns, letting them spin around the hook as much as they want - usually about 1/2 a turn. I bring the thread forward, between the 2 pieces of yarn, and tie it off behind the hook eye. That is the only place I put any glue.

To shape, I gather together both ends of one piece of yarn, pull them up, and snip straight across, at about 1 hook gape length. I then gather the other piece of yarn, pull it the opposite way, and try to snip it off at the same length. Then, I just fluff it a bit with my finger tips. Often, but not always, I have to snip off a few stray tufts to get the final shape I want.

It may take slightly more than 10 seconds (more like 30), but it is a quick and easy tie. I have tried the pen trick, and it does work, but isn't necessary.

your favorite hook

hook.jpg

your favorite glue

zap.jpg

your favorite pompom

poms.jpg

stab a pompom onto the hook, add a drop of crazy glue to the shank and push the pompom into position

glo+bugs.jpg

^^^What he said^^^

Pompoms and glue is all I have ever used. But for the last couple of years, I've switched over the trout beads. Because you rig the hook a few inches below the bead, the fish NEVER swallow the hooks, which is important to me. Also, they look far more realistic than yarn or pompoms. Call it cheating, not fly fishing....whatever...THEY WORK!

Pompoms and glue is all I have ever used. But for the last couple of years, I've switched over the trout beads. Because you rig the hook a few inches below the bead, the fish NEVER swallow the hooks, which is important to me. Also, they look far more realistic than yarn or pompoms. Call it cheating, not fly fishing....whatever...THEY WORK!

Look up the trout regulations in your state before using pegged beads.

http://www.post-gazette.com/hunting-fishing/2009/12/20/Buyer-beware-of-illegal-outdoors-gear/stories/200912200155

In some states, any rig (pegging an egg bead) that is designed to hook the fish anywhere but in the mouth is considered snagging. For example, in my state of Wisconsin and on my spring creek property in Montana, that rig would be not be legal.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fh/fh0301.pdf

"Statewide Fishing Restrictions

IT IS ILLEGAL

• to fish by snagging, foul-hooking, or attempting to hook fish other than in the mouth.
  • to keep foul-hooked, snagged or any fish not hooked in the mouth."

Montana:

http://www.finsandfeathersonline.com/blog/yes-it-is-snaggingand-illegal

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=41950efinitions

SNAGGING

"You have snagged a fish if: (a) you are fishing in a manner that the fish does not voluntarily take the hook in its mouth."

Sometimes, a fly is used in the place of the bare hook making the rig legal, but the intent is to hook the fish outside of the mouth:

20140318_135839_resized.jpg

Oh man, I didn't even think of that. I think it's rather silly, but I understand. Too bad, this method seems to hooks the fish right in the corner of its mouth 99% of the time.

I do tie eggs often and i use Glo bug Yarn almost exclusively. When tying try this:

wrap your hook one time. then coat with a light glue or tacky wax (loon has a good product) take the yarn and place on top and wrap only once.Lift the yarn and wrap on the out side of the yarn front and back twice. Wrap again in the middle of your ball and draw the thread up tightly. Pull the yarn straight up (almost to the point you are lifting you vise off the table and cut the yarn as close as possible to the point of the wrap .About 3-4 mm. tie off the fly. you should have a near perfect ball, some trimming may be needed. Mc Fly foam is also a great product to use if you are having a hard time, but I think however you are tying it on may be the culprit.

Practice makes perfect.

Good Luck

PJ2

thanks everyone for the helpful tips..... Still cant get it to work the right way with the shape and all. Going to order some mc fly foam and see if that will work for me (which i'm sure it will) but anyways thanks everyone.