Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
StoneFlyTyer

Anyone have any links to weaving flys

I'm trying to tie up some steelhead hammer flys. I see some are made with chenille, but I also see some that are made by weaving floss, I would like to try some of the woven ones. So anyone know how to, or have a link to learn from thanks and Happy New Year

Search Shuttle Weave on the forum here, Crackaig did a great tutorial on weaving a while back. Should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

The overhand weave or granny knot weave is the more difficult of the two most common weaves. I prefer the shuttle weave.

Here is the overhand weave:

http://tinyurl.com/7lx8gg8

Here is the shuttle weave done with bobbins.

The key to the whole process is applying even tension on the hook shank. There are two planes to maintain: 90 deg to the hook shank and parallel to the floor where you are working. If you deviate from the parallel plane, you will end up with a top (dark color) or bottom (light color) that is too wide or too narrow.

By the way, if you are buying new bobbins just for weaving, the best kind are the magnum or saltwater variety. These bobbins have a 3/4in longer tube length and this makes it easier to direct the wraps.

For the fly below, I use the embroidery floss. I only go down to 3 strands. I've tried 2 but it just too thin unless you wrap the under body really smooth with tiny thread. The secret I've found is to wrap back on each weave. I always hold the bobbins tight to the back towards the vice. This keeps blank spots from appearing.

P1000678.jpg

A couple of tips to get you started.

1, Prep 6 flies before weaving any. Then weave the 6 bodies one after another. Just do the bodies. If you prep one, then weave it, by the time you have prepared a second you will have forgotten much of what you learned on the first.

2, Start with wire, go onto something like nymph wrap (one of the mono filament body materials), then progress through chenille to floss. Wire stays where it is put. so is easiest to learn the actions with. When you progress you will learn to keep both strands under constant tension. It is always easier to learn one thing at a time. Trying to learn two at once is a recipe for disaster.

Give it a go and come back with your questions.

Cheers,

C.