Fly Tying
m_grieb

crayfish patterns

Since a lot of my hits on my Panfish Attractor...

happen while it's sitting on the bottom ... I think the fish see it as a baby crayfish.

Mixed media fly in crawdad colors works well.

Think that patterns on flyfish Ohio site but running off of memory not always a good thing.

I found one called the Bill Miller Cray fish.

http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19325

Looks easy to tie and a lot like a crayfish.

I've been reading around the net about crayfish and crayfish patterns and there has been research showing that smaller crayfish are preferred. One to one and a quarter inch is better than one and a half inch.

Looking at pictures of actual cray fish, it seems that in most fly patterns the claws are way too big and way too far forward, especially if a smaller cray fish is being represented, and eyes seem to be put almost anywhere but where a real crayfish's eyes are..

Of course, it's hard to argue with success, or with the fish.

I think I'm going to tie a few of the patterns that are easy to tie and use common materials and do some comparative testing this spring on small mouth and hopefully trout.

vac, we must be on the same wavelength; just yesterday I was thinking the same thing. I have also noticed that a crawdad's body is all about the same width. Not narrower along the tail section as many crawdad flies are. Also the legs and underbody are frequently lighter in color than the rest of the body.

Here is a feeble attempt at what I'm striving for. I would like to have the entire body a little wider and may put some glue on the claws to make them more solid looking and a tad more realistic.

post-37228-0-24124700-1452625336_thumb.jpg

That's a good looking 'craw, Heavy. If it sits hook point up, it will definitely draw piscine attention.

BUT ... with legs that long, I would be concerned with them "parachuting" in the water and allowing the hook point to fall first.

That makes it unusable in weedy or rocky bottoms.

Look up "super bugger" or "hoschlag hackle fly" (rubber legs bugger and weighted to ride hook point up), but replace the marabou tail with a pair of rabbit strips. As others have said, the larger claws are not needed - when crayfish swim (backwards), the claws come together and look like 1 tail anyway - with 2 rabbit strips they spread a little when resting and come together when swimming.

vac, we must be on the same wavelength; just yesterday I was thinking the same thing. I have also noticed that a crawdad's body is all about the same width. Not narrower along the tail section as many crawdad flies are. Also the legs and underbody are frequently lighter in color than the rest of the body.

Here is a feeble attempt at what I'm striving for. I would like to have the entire body a little wider and may put some glue on the claws to make them more solid looking and a tad more realistic.

I like the legs but seem too long, especially the back twHere are some pics I found on the net.

post-51082-0-56669600-1452637933_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-70636300-1452637934_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-76744900-1452637935_thumb.jpg

You could use thread wraps to segment the hair or use knotted ultra chenille for more real claws.

Or you could go to www.featherbender.com and look up crawfish master class from March 2014.

But, imo, that thing probably has no life to it in the water and just the claws probably take an hour to make. He even says he doesn't fish them in the article. Robert M, have you tied/fished this pattern?