Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Head cement recommendations...

1 - use primarily WAPSI water-based head cement. It's grand; it is a replacement for my lacquer-based RUMPF cement that I've used for over 2 decades. Main advantage is it doesn't evaporate thus requiring constant thinning. I use water-based waterproofing solutions on my outdoor clothing and equipment and it works great; once the solution dries it becomes completely water-proof and is not soluble in water. $$$

2 - Loon UV. just started using it as an experiment, I like it very much for the finish it imparts plus no dry time. Best for larger heads on streamers where I like a nice finish. $$$$$$$

3 - nail polish, or hardener, or whatever they call it. clear, at all drugstores in nail depts. same thing as hard as nails. great stuff. $

I use both the nail polish and water-based cement to toughen up legs and wingbacks.

On the small flies I seen a really cool trick for getting head cement on. He whip finished then held the thread straight up dabbled on some thinned head cement it ran right down the thread to the head of the fly, trim thread and done!

Yeah I didn't want to get into it in the other message but I picked up a tip from McPhail and others who do great tying videos, to brush a light coat on the thread that will form the whip finish ( much as dubbing wax is applied) and then do the whip.. You can use super glue or Hard As Nails etc. Just my small flies have never fallen apart with nothing on them so I generally don't bother, and well, big flies are big enough to apply cement after the whip. I realize some folks figure the fly isn't complete without cement, that's their business. LOL

Hey Quill, on the lacquer topic. There is no specific brand that is needed for head cement. Any of the brands you might use or a wood finish are fine. And as Mr. Best pointed out, a can is like a lifetime supply. Ed

For head cements I have loon hard head cement, loon water based head cement and uv cure, it all just depends on which one works best for the flies at hand. The water based is great for bead heads because it just seeps in through the material. But like someone said earlier, a good tight whip finish won't need head cement. I'd say 4-5 times out of 10 I use head cement

I like loons head cement but use two others frequently.

Gem Tac when I want it to penetrate, Fabric Fusion when I want a tough clear finish.

I use whatever head cement is at the store when I need it. I also use sally Hansens hard as nails (use the clear stuff not the translucent pink stuff). I use super glue, epoxy, uv resins, and sometimes nothing at all. its all good.

If you haven't tried sally's, try it. It's like a buck, and available just about everywhere. I trim about 2/3 the off the bristles off of the brush for finer application.

On the small flies I seen a really cool trick for getting head cement on. He whip finished then held the thread straight up dabbled on some thinned head cement it ran right down the thread to the head of the fly, trim thread and done!

Yeah I didn't want to get into it in the other message but I picked up a tip from McPhail and others who do great tying videos, to brush a light coat on the thread that will form the whip finish ( much as dubbing wax is applied) and then do the whip.. You can use super glue or Hard As Nails etc. Just my small flies have never fallen apart with nothing on them so I generally don't bother, and well, big flies are big enough to apply cement after the whip. I realize some folks figure the fly isn't complete without cement, that's their business. LOL

I agree with Dave G, except for the inclusion of Super Glue in this technique. In my experience: very often the Super Glue will set as I pull the thread though the whipped turns. Very frustrating!!

Let me add that applying beeswax to the thread prior to making the whip-finish also makes for a secure head. (With none of the mess of liquid cement.)

Lots of good info gents, thanks. :) ...now if I can get directions to the nail care section of the local store maybe I can try some of that Sally Hansen stuff...

Lots of good info gents, thanks. smile.png ...now if I can get directions to the nail care section of the local store maybe I can try some of that Sally Hansen stuff...

CVS pharmacy and while you are there you can find nice little scissors for about $10, Just sayin.