Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Head cement recommendations...

Wait until you're in the children's section, carefully feeling the material of a ballerina tutu because you think it will make a good bait fish body.

Walmart caries Sally's too. Currently using Hard as Hull and like it a lot. I may try the no cement at all after a couple of whip finishes though and see how they hold up. I bet they'll be fine!

I use loon hard head more than anything else. I hate the jar it comes in, so I use a plastic applicator bottle. Hard as hull is pretty good too, I just had issues with it thickening up on me all the time. Next thing you know you have 2 bottles of thinner and 4 bottles of hard as hull at different viscosities. I got fed up, threw it all out, and tried the loon. I've been using it for 5-6 months now and I'm still working with the same batch I bought originally. I also use quite a bit of liquid fusion, it's a water based polyurethane, I like to use it over my eyes to make them a little more durable.

Walmart caries Sally's too. Currently using Hard as Hull and like it a lot. I may try the no cement at all after a couple of whip finishes though and see how they hold up. I bet they'll be fine!

I have Rumpf and Sally's, they are all I use in solvent base. Never used UV stuff etc. Have used super glue though and don't care for the thin stuff, except in a particular instance or two ( securing under wraps in Muddlers being one). Oh and speaking of which, the super glue I like as head cement is the thick stuff used in Nail care, it can be bought in the beauty department too ! What I do with that is apply a drop, it won't soak in immediately, and then whip over the drop. In a few minutes or seconds really that will soak all in and harden, it isn't ever coming apart. What I like about the nail care glue is the tiny bottle. I believe the brand name is Kiss .

I use a lot of different head cements but I mostly use the ones I make myself.

For most flies I use an old amber varnish formula. If I'm in a hurry I use glossy nitrocellulose lacquer. For streamers I use an old Kelson's formula made from asphaltum.

If I want to really hold the threads together I use a 50/50 mix of Ambroid cement and toluene. It's a formula from a 1941 edition of The American Fly Tyer magazine. Truth be told, that little concoction may be the best and toughest head cement there is. It's properties are reminiscent of the old Pharmacist Formula head cement. It also does a pretty good job of soaking in to and adhering to waxed silk thread...for you North Country Spider tyers out there.

Head cement has been a kind of hobby of mine for years. Enjoy:

http://www.drlogik.com/headcement.html

Of the store-bought variety currently available I like Sally Hansen's, Fly Tite, Fritz von Schlegel's and Trout Hunter (which seems to be a LOT like Minwax's Polycrylic).

Here's my two cents on head cement; enjoy!

2 cents!?!? Dude, that was 20 minutes long... more like $9.95 ;) :D

Good info blokes... appreciate everyone weighing in. :)

Ha ha, you're right! It was actually over 20 minutes, so I need to start charging more! ;-)

Tim

Here's my two cents on head cement; enjoy!

2 cents!?!? Dude, that was 20 minutes long... more like $9.95 wink.pngbiggrin.png

Good info blokes... appreciate everyone weighing in. smile.png