Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Head cement recommendations...

I'm curious what a good, all purpose head cement you all would recommend. I've only ever used some really old lacquer stuff that was given to me many years ago. It's almost gone and I figured I'd give something modern a try. There seems to be a lot of water-based products out now... not sure I'm comfortable with that given it'll be under water a lot. ha ha :-D

Anyhow, what do you like? Preferably something reasonably priced and not too complicated to use like the uv light things I saw on youtube.

tie a good whip finish not and you wont need anything

or use crazy glue.

uv resins are not very complicated to use

clear lacquer from the big box hardware store and youll never have to buy it again

Sally Hanson is cheap and when it gets too thick you can thin it with a couple drops of acetone. Acetone is available at Walmart, $0.97 near the nail polish.

Sally Hansen Hard As Nails. It just doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that.

Is that a fingernail polish?

Sally Hansen Hard As Nails. It just doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that.

Is that a fingernail polish?

Yes, buy it at any drugstore, Walmart etc. Even has a brush cap, or you can grab a needle and get a drop on it for small flies. On my smallest flies I tend to use no head cement.

On the small flies I seen a really cool trick for getting head cement on. He whip finished then held the thread straight up dabbled on some thinned head cement it ran right down the thread to the head of the fly, trim thread and done!

On the small flies I seen a really cool trick for getting head cement on. He whip finished then held the thread straight up dabbled on some thinned head cement it ran right down the thread to the head of the fly, trim thread and done!

GLF would put a drop of cement on a the bead and sweep the thread through it while making a whip finish...personally, I like these:

HARD%20AS%20HULL_zpsg8rd0xk0.jpg

PT/TB

I use Shoe Goo thinned with toluene in a small applicator bottle. Squeeze a whole tube of the Goo into an old glass jar with a tight fitting lid and thin with toluene to slightly thicker than water. It penetrates well and dries quickly.

I just bought a bottle of Nail Strengthener at the Dollar Tree. It's a little bottle that will last you a year or so. If you want REALLY thin stuff that will penetrate all the thread, then get the "Quick Dry" bottle. It's a "top coat" that is more solvent than polish, so it's designed to dry faster. It's even supposed to cause the underlying layer of polish to dry quicker too.

Both of them work well for me ... and at $1.00 a bottle (with no mixing or chemistry set work), the price is hard to beat.

Hey Chris, this is a good topic...and I believe there will be a wild variety of possible solutions given. Sally Hansen's IS good, especially for flies with a bigger head that you want to shine. I use it, but not on little flies with a small head...here I use a water based cement that is much finer in viscosity cuz it's easier to apply to a small spot. When I need to glue things to get a tough, durable bond; Flexament or the thinned shoe goo trick is excellent. I like this alot on the interior of big streamers and deer hair flies...I don't want these materials to be able to "twist" on the hook. Oh yeah, A.K. Best recommends lacquer like you can get at the hardware store, and it does work well as a head cement...it is very inexpensive. Good luck...there's alot of good alternatives. Ed

Hey Chris, this is a good topic...and I believe there will be a wild variety of possible solutions given. Sally Hansen's IS good, especially for flies with a bigger head that you want to shine. I use it, but not on little flies with a small head...here I use a water based cement that is much finer in viscosity cuz it's easier to apply to a small spot. When I need to glue things to get a tough, durable bond; Flexament or the thinned shoe goo trick is excellent. I like this alot on the interior of big streamers and deer hair flies...I don't want these materials to be able to "twist" on the hook. Oh yeah, A.K. Best recommends lacquer like you can get at the hardware store, and it does work well as a head cement...it is very inexpensive. Good luck...there's alot of good alternatives. Ed

Is there a specific brand of lacquer?

As stated before but just to give emphasis....I use Hard as Hull, Sally Hansen hard as nails, and super glue for specific applications. I also use epoxy for other purposes but I wouldn't spend 60 bucks on a UV kit just to use it as a head cement.

I have used several different head cements. Seems like everytime I need some the fly shop changes what they are selling. Right now I have Dave's Flexement on the tying bench.