Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Upgrading vise... recommendations?

Now there's a thought .

I retract my comment .....as I have experienced tough times and still have to juggle sometimes.I too am self employed as a carpenter / builder....I think i should have joined the circus with the amount of juggling that i do lol.

My sincere apologies bud.

Retro

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check some more of them out. :)

I'm not some poor schlep who can't scrape together $300 for a vice. I'm a poor schlep who's self employed and has other priorities. Perhaps a vise upgrade isn't smart unless I get a top of the line... Just seems to me that in no other area of life can you be using a 60 year old tool that was low end when it came out and not benefit from moving up to even a lower end modern device. I think of chainsaws and power drills and skillsaws and lawnmowers, etc. Maybe tying vices are different. In any event, thanks for all the input. I appreciate folks taking the time to try and help.

the main issue with most cheaper vises is the quality of the metal used. Vises are a prime example of "they don't make like they used to". From what I understand the knock offs are from no name company's that don't have to stand by their products. They used inferior materials that cause them to wear out faster. The fact that yours is so old and still working is a testament to this. I believe you said it was a herters? I believe they were about as good as it got for most folks back then. Unfortunately with all things fly tying, quality comes at a mostly ridiculous premium. Any vise you find online in your price range from a REPUTABLE company should serve you well. A knock off with more bells and whistles at a lower price will likely fail you over time and you'll end up spending more in the long run. Good luck in your search. Be patient and watch for sales.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check some more of them out. smile.png

I'm not some poor schlep who can't scrape together $300 for a vice. I'm a poor schlep who's self employed and has other priorities. Perhaps a vise upgrade isn't smart unless I get a top of the line... Just seems to me that in no other area of life can you be using a 60 year old tool that was low end when it came out and not benefit from moving up to even a lower end modern device. I think of chainsaws and power drills and skillsaws and lawnmowers, etc. Maybe tying vices are different. In any event, thanks for all the input. I appreciate folks taking the time to try and help.

Your old vise holds a hook and you tie thread around the hook to tie down materials onto the hook. What do you want the new vise to do ?

A good question. I've failed to answer that question a number of times. I guess a parallel example here: there is Scotch, and then there is Scotch. Both of them will get you drunk, if getting drunk is the reason you drink Scotch.

But Gene I was serious ! What does he want the new vise to do that the old one doesn't do ? Maybe finer jaws, maybe a simple rotating feature, maybe smaller profile than his old vise. He Hasn't stated what he wants from the new vise. This helps people make suggestions, though I've made mine in the Anvil Apex.. But maybe that doesn't fit.

I seriously doubt an Indian made knock off it going to make him happy though. Serous on that too, they are rough and some break.

Something else nobody has pointed out. Suppose the vise he has was made in 1952. Take a quick glance at these statistics for 1952 : http://www.tvhistory.tv/1952%20QF.htm

I take it all back.

If you've got an $80 budget, by all means, get whatever vise you want. Better yet, get two $40 vises.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check some more of them out. smile.png

Your old vise holds a hook and you tie thread around the hook to tie down materials onto the hook. What do you want the new vise to do ?

A good question. I've failed to answer that question a number of times. I guess a parallel example here: there is Scotch, and then there is Scotch. Both of them will get you drunk, if getting drunk is the reason you drink Scotch.

But Gene I was serious ! What does he want the new vise to do that the old one doesn't do ? Maybe finer jaws, maybe a simple rotating feature, maybe smaller profile than his old vise. He Hasn't stated what he wants from the new vise. This helps people make suggestions, though I've made mine in the Anvil Apex.. But maybe that doesn't fit.

I seriously doubt an Indian made knock off it going to make him happy though. Serous on that too, they are rough and some break.

Something else nobody has pointed out. Suppose the vise he has was made in 1952. Take a quick glance at these statistics for 1952 : http://www.tvhistory.tv/1952%20QF.htm

I'm serious, too. I've got five vises and they ALL hold hooks. I'm a gear head, and can't stop myself from buying vises (the ones I can afford, anyway.) I like each one of them for different reasons. The Anvil Apex vise is certainly a great vise; I have one of those, too. It's not my go-to vise unless I'm on the road but it holds a hook as well as any of them. Nitpicking, the threads on the collet could be finer, which would make the adjustment easier, but that's not a serious problem, just an observation. I tied on it Saturday, and it did fine.

I think the bottle of locktite I used to tighten up the nuts on my vise cost half as much as I paid for my vise. Been tying on it for 25 years and I can't find a good enough reason to buy another one yet. I'd like another one but it just doesn't come together in my head when I get my flies together just fine. I love the smoothness of some of the new vises too.

My advise to you is try as many vises as you can in your price range. If you like one, buy it. If you can't find a vise that makes you happy and functions properly, save your money. Sounds like your current vise is functional so you have time to find one that fits your tying style.

I have been tying on an anvil apex since 2004, and spent 6 of those years production tying. Great vise no complaints there is a rubber O-Ring that wears out that the vise rotates on $1.98 gets you a box of ten o-rings and its a 2min fix.

I'm impressed by the number of favorables on the Apex vise. No unfavorables so far. IMO, it's the best sub $100 vise currently being made.

I'm impressed by the number of favorables on the Apex vise. No unfavorables so far. IMO, it's the best sub $100 vise currently being made.

I wonder how the Apex and the Rensetti Apprentice stack up against one another.

i have a feeling the rensetti might be a little more polished, granted my apex is over ten years old and tied its way to hell and back, I remember having to touch up the tip of the jaws with a small file a while back still a great vise and great price and warranty recommend it.

I am too but for a slightly different reason.

While I've never used an Apex, I did try out an Atlas, and it was one of the easiest options to rule out, for me.

Maybe they've changed process/design since then, but when I tried mine, it was solid, but rough around the edges. So rough, in fact, that I took it out of consideration for fly tying. Almost every machined edge on it was unbroken, and sharp to the point that while I didn't fear cutting my fingers, I had no trouble imagining them slicing through thread. The jaw edges were especially sharp. Also, the operating pieces (locking apparatus for the jaws, and rotation assembly) were very stiff, with only a tiny range of operating settings (ie. the rotating tension went from free spinning to totally locked down in maybe 5 degrees of turning). While I'm sure this aspect would improve with use as the various parts went through a "breaking in" process, I'm not sure anything could have been done for the sharp/rough edge finish aside from a complete disassembly and sending out to a machine shop to have them knock off the corners a bit...or maybe one could do it at home, with a set of files...but I didn't like the idea of dropping that much money on a product that it was left up to me to finish what I considered to be fabrication.

The jaws did seem to solidly hold a hook, and strictly speaking, that's all you need a vise to do...but those same jaws also gave me visions of nicked thread breaking after sliding against them.

The jaw edges were especially sharp. Also, the operating pieces (locking apparatus for the jaws, and rotation assembly) were very stiff, with only a tiny range of operating settings (ie. the rotating tension went from free spinning to totally locked down in maybe 5 degrees of turning). While I'm sure this aspect would improve with use as the various parts went through a "breaking in" process, I'm not sure anything could have been done for the sharp/rough edge finish aside from a complete disassembly and sending out to a machine shop to have them knock off the corners a bit...or maybe one could do it at home, with a set of files...but I didn't like the idea of dropping that much money on a product that it was left up to me to finish what I considered to be fabrication.

The jaws did seem to solidly hold a hook, and strictly speaking, that's all you need a vise to do...but those same jaws also gave me visions of nicked thread breaking after sliding against them.

I first thought the rotation locked down too easy on The Atlas as well ( course you quoted on the Apex not the Atlas) , that is until I found out I was turning the wrong thing to set the tension LOL. Rotation tension is set by the back near the jaw lock down lever not on the side. The screw on the side does exactly what it's supposed to do, lock the rotation in place,. The one I tied on seemed very smooth, this was maybe 6-9 months ago, so maybe they improved the rough edges. I liked the vise very much but I think I like the Apex even better..

The jaw edges were especially sharp. Also, the operating pieces (locking apparatus for the jaws, and rotation assembly) were very stiff, with only a tiny range of operating settings (ie. the rotating tension went from free spinning to totally locked down in maybe 5 degrees of turning). While I'm sure this aspect would improve with use as the various parts went through a "breaking in" process, I'm not sure anything could have been done for the sharp/rough edge finish aside from a complete disassembly and sending out to a machine shop to have them knock off the corners a bit...or maybe one could do it at home, with a set of files...but I didn't like the idea of dropping that much money on a product that it was left up to me to finish what I considered to be fabrication.

I first thought the rotation locked down too easy on The Atlas as well ( course you quoted on the Apex not the Atlas) , that is until I found out I was turning the wrong thing to set the tension LOL. Rotation tension is set by the back near the jaw lock down lever not on the side. The screw on the side does exactly what it's supposed to do, lock the rotation in place,. The one I tied on seemed very smooth, this was maybe 6-9 months ago, so maybe they improved the rough edges. I liked the vise very much but I think I like the Apex even better..

I made the same mistake in the shop, commented about the "all or nothing" to the guy, who then showed me that I should use the back tensioner. Same thing. Almost free spool, to no play whatsoever in less than 1/8 turn.

Well Cold, that's too bad. I'll be at Bears Den before the end of the month, I'll have to check out another Atlas while I'm there.