Fly Tying
branden_fritzemeier_67

Top Winter Trout Patterns

This is a stomach sampling taken from a Brown Trout on the Lower Owens River, in January:

sim-owens-1_zpswblwdxwr.jpg

That would be here, in the Eastern Sierras...

moo-lo-snow_zpscww9uvjl.jpg

Notice that in that sampling, there are Midges, Cased Brachycentrus (Caddis) and in the squiggly orange lines, with the fat anteriors, Black Fly Larva...These are various stages of Black Flies:

SIMULIIDs-1-_zpsf05ef882.jpg

This will tell one "What's going on"

CampF%20FABRE%20ENTO%20KIT_zpscd61zc4a.j

Generally, for that water, I carry Midges...

midges-owen-gor-2_zpsw2ipndwo.jpg

Scuds...

scuds-so-box-1_zpsecb43944.jpg

...and for days when it warms up a bit, Baetis/BWO's...

BAETISBOXES-1-.jpg

PT/TB

Olive Woolly Bugger size 6. Popeye's Promiscuous Wife size 18 to 22 fished 3-4 feet below an indicator. Bunny Leeches in size 6 to 8.

Hi Scott,

Your photo piqued my interest in the Buzzball. I was intrigued when Gary LaFontaine touted it in his books, but I never heard much about it or saw one in Colorado, and I've never even seen any orange hackle. I've spent a lot of time casting to trout sipping midges in slow water. Sometimes I fool them, but this is one area where I'm constantly experimenting for better solutions. (Yes, I'm a pattern junkie.)

Do you use orange hackle? I have a bunch of big hackle left on my grizzly capes, so maybe I should try my first dye job. Maybe orange Koolaid, unless you have some suggestions.

Bruce,

I first tied them with light reddish brown as a sub for orange, but then died up some hackle with orange Koolaid and used that instead. Caught fish on both colors so I don't know how much difference it makes, but since it's so easy to dye them, I figured I'd keep it like Mr. LaFontaine intended.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Scott - I'll drink the Koolaid!

Bruce,

I first tied them with light reddish brown as a sub for orange, but then died up some hackle with orange Koolaid and used that instead. Caught fish on both colors so I don't know how much difference it makes, but since it's so easy to dye them, I figured I'd keep it like Mr. LaFontaine intended.

Regards,
Scott

I'd love to see a pattern for Popeyes prmicuous wife.Google is not giving the images I'm looking for. Lol

I was curious about that pattern as well. The one reference to it is on the Flyfish BC Forum...

" Popeye's Promiscuous Wife: Dirty olive with black rib and black tungsten bead with white gills - tied on Mustard C49S ". The thread was mostly about large Chironomid pupae, for lakes. So if ya' got a photo OBM...give it up tongue.png

PT/TB