Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BattenkillBum

UTC fail

can't tell by looking but it looks like an impending backlash on a baitcasting reel, where the spool is too free and allowed to continue turning past the point at which line (thread) has stopped leaving the end of the tool. I'd guess your tension on the spool is too loose.

I am not sure what you're showing. If the thread gets a little twist, then a little slack, it can loosen on the spool. But I don't see that as much of a problem. As soon as you start tying again, it tightens back up.

Over the years I've had a few loosely wound spools that were just like that one, always UTC 70 denier. The spool was fine on the outside but the middle was all screwed up the way it was wound on the spool. I just pulled off ten yards or so and it was much better.

Has never happened to me with Danville nor Uni-Thread (yet), but seen similar pretty much every other brand I've ever used, especially Griffith's. Have not seen it on any of my spools of UTC, but I do not use it that much and only have a few spools. For the price, I would expect better, personally.

Anyone else have this happen? Thread is just falling of the spool.

Had that happen to often with UTC. Sticking with Uni, Danville and Veevus.

I have had this happen to many 70D UTC spools. So much so that I swithced back to Danville's for my flat thread tying. It's definitely not due to having the tension too loose on the bobbin, because the bobbin never spins fast enough to create a "backlash" like a baitcaster. With some luck you can fix it by pulling off a length of thread, but without fail, it happens again further down the spool. I called Wapsi once to let them know, and they were very understanding and send me 6 spools of thread! Much to my dismay, it happened to every other spool that I tried that I got from them...

Danville 70 fixed all my problems.

I wasn't sure Danville made 70, I use their 6/0, it has it's own issues but I do use some of it. I guess 6/0 in their line is 70 denier anyway though.

Danville 70 fixed all my problems.

I wasn't sure Danville made 70, I use their 6/0, it has it's own issues but I do use some of it. I guess 6/0 in their line is 70 denier anyway though.

In order to make life easier for tyers, they ditched the xx/0 system for a denier system. Their 70 denier is the same as the old 6/0.