Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Deer hair

How much hair do you use off a buck tail before you throw it away? Just the color or that plus the partially colored section on the back?

I use it all. I like the main hair as it is much brighter and longer. But the back is sometimes useful because its darker. I guess why wouldn't you use it all, you get two colors per tail. lighter and a darker color. The only downside the the darker back is that it is shorter, so you cant make as big flys with it. But still good.

The tails we get here are not of the quality many of you in the US are used to. As a tail gets used up the skin usually disintegrates, that's when I throw mine away.

I was once asked to tie some large salt water flies that used a full tail worth of hair per fly... They were rather expensive flies!

Cheers,

C.

I buy my deertails in bulk, if possible, and try to use every last bit.... Natural bucktails, after all the nice white hair is gone, I use the center hairs for spreaders on tarpon flies, collars on Cockroach patterns, finally tailing for bonefish and redfish skimmers.

Here's a pic or two of flies and lures made using the parts of a bucktail that most toss....

post-30940-0-03603100-1452264840_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-29373700-1452264863_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-39570100-1452264887_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-81935200-1452264940_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-90125000-1452264969_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-87897900-1452264997_thumb.jpg

Hey Muskie, obviously all the white/dyed over white is used, but I end up throwing out some of the dark hair on the back. Capt. LeMay is right on about using this dark hair as a spreader for split hackle tailed flies...not only does this split the hackle, but it really helps to prevent tail wrap. I use alot of bucktail, so some dark gets pitched. Cheers, Ed