Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vb1971

Streamside Fly Tying Box

That's nice, Dr.

I'll take a picture of my travel outfit, too. Made it out of an empty plastic carrier. The carrier originally had electronic test equipment in it. I'll get it on here when I get it packed up for a tying meet. It doesn't carry what you've got, but it fits in my suitcase and still allows me to stay under the airline limit for weight. (Except for Spirit, which isn't cheaper after you add ALL the extra fees back in)

Hi dr logic

I love the wooden box. This is very similar to what I had in mind. Just need to work on my woodworking skills!!

Cheer

You can easily make a camping chuck box or boyscout patrol box and use it for a traveling fly tying station. They require very basic skills, basic hand tools to make I personally I think they have plenty of character.post-48414-0-18126600-1453445886_thumb.jpg

I assume it's more for tying at camp after a day of fishing rather then for backpacking trips. But you can always leave your sleeping bag and tent in the car and take the chuck box instead.

Well vb did ask about a stream side kit, and I showed him mine. I have other larger kits, and I did show one picture of my soft side bag. I never need anything bigger than that, unless I am supplying materials in a teaching situation.

Lived many a weekend and several summer camps out of a boyscout patrol box. Never thought of it as a fly tying station. Interesting.

remember how great those patrol boxes were? you made them as big or small or as complicated or simple that you wanted or needed. Building them were half the fun. Using them was the other half. They seem to have fancied them up a bit over the years. Ours were nothing more then plywood boxes painted in muted colors.

Just how many flies do you think you'll need to tie from this kit? Some years ago I wrote a fly tying presentation that I would do for FDG Branches and clubs, Called "The Travelling Fly Tier" The idea behind it is you are flying in to fish a new, to you, trout stream, and have severe weight and space restrictions. It is only a couple of days, so you will not need more than a dozen of any pattern. I put together a kit to tie 14 generic patterns in a range of sizes. There was sufficient material to tie a dozen of each. The kit, including vice and all tools, fitted in my shirt pocket. Here is the kit.

Packed.jpgTravelKit.jpg

The secret to a small kit is about how you think about imitation. One patten to represent an up wing dun can represent all up wing duns if you vary the size and colour. The same goes for nymphs. Thinking like that you can get a kit into a wooden box no larger than a moderately sized wooden fly box. If you fixed the base of your small vice into the box it could act as pedestal as well.

Cheers,

C.

It is very hard to carry a kit with you to the stream. Most people will bring a small kit with them to where ever they are staying and some materials. That's what I do. I know what the hatches are in my area and am fortunate to know other guides where my property is so I can structure what I bring with me to what I will be tying. You can do the same most fly shops will not have any issue giving you some tips on what's hatching. Another thing to do is get a hatch chat for your area. They are surprising accurate within a two week period. I have a tomahawk bag from Fishpond that carries everything I need and more when I travel or go to a tying night. I can tell you from experience that I will usually carry two rods when fishing private water. One set up with either a dry fly and specific leader for throwing them/sink tip or heavy leader with a streamer and my nymph rod. I only do this on private water where there is no risk of someone stealing my rod that is on the bank. It's a pain to keep up for because I'm very technical and usually stay in the water unless the fish are on reeds. On public water I will not leave anything unsupervised.

I was at the Boat, Sport, and Travel Show in Indianapolis yesterday. They took over the Fly Fishing show this year, we will see how it works out.

There was a company there called Riverwood Designs. They had a travel box that was about the size of a large brief case. It looked well thought out.

Here's the link; http://www.riverwooddesign.net/products.html

RS .... does that "briefcase" sized wooden box come with a Sherpa? It's a pretty piece of woodworking ... but that would be heavy, even before you put any materials in it.

Might be a nice box for taking to a show (if you're driving), but it would be too heavy for me to carry in my suitcase checking onto an airplane.

RS .... does that "briefcase" sized wooden box come with a Sherpa? It's a pretty piece of woodworking ... but that would be heavy, even before you put any materials in it.

Might be a nice box for taking to a show (if you're driving), but it would be too heavy for me to carry in my suitcase checking onto an airplane.

I did say a large brief case, and I have seen some that size. They also have a "portable" fly tying table that they claim you can take stream side. That's not for me, I would have had to by a motorhome to carry it in.