Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
elleg4

Hooks

I am living in the hook third world!!!!! AFTER I TALKED WITH TIEMCO, MUSTAD AND GAMAKATZU HOOKS USA ........SO SAD!!!

It is not true that you can't teach a new trick to an old dog! I am 72 old and I am avid flyfisher. I started with an horse hair fly line (I still make them) to the most modern equipment. Gamakatzu and many other companies make the most beautiful hook designs but the American representatives refuse to import them! I will post some flies tied on hooks I buy all over the world but in USA.

GAMAKATSU hooks ARE AVAILABLE in the USA

why do you say they wont import them here?

I don't think he was talking about the brand itself, but certain styles within the brand.

It's really common for Japanese brands (of anything) to have markedly different products available in their US distribution networks than in their JDM product lines.

I'm quite interested to see what sort of hooks might be JDM from these big names.

There are a whole bunch of great fly tying & fly fishing products that don't make it into the U.S. That's just the way it is. Slowly, a few online boutique dealers are bringing some of it in.It took Umpqua over a year to finally get the Tiemco 113BLH & 226BL hooks into the pipeline...This is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://competitiveangler.com/products/tommi-fly-czech-floating-threadyarn-75-denier

PT/TB

There are a whole bunch of great fly tying & fly fishing products that don't make it into the U.S. That's just the way it is. Slowly, a few online boutique dealers are bringing some of it in.It took Umpqua over a year to finally get the Tiemco 113BLH & 226BL hooks into the pipeline...This is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://competitiveangler.com/products/tommi-fly-czech-floating-threadyarn-75-denier

PT/TB

nice, anyone ever order from here? Are they reputable? I've been displeased with the available jig hook selection at my normal places of purchase. Those hanak hooks look real nice.

I have been friends with Jacob over there for about six or seven years. This was before he became a part of that operation. For me, the answer would be yes...he's already sent me a bunch of stuff...

PT/TBsmile.png

Though I have yet to do any business with him, I've had a bit of correspondence, and absolutely will be placing an order sometime this spring if not sooner.

I was surprised to find out he's located remarkably close to me in southwest PA.

Ha. I didn't even notice that. That's like 20 minutes from my house. Do they have a store front? Looks like a private residence by where they're located.

Holy cow, fishinguy, where are you located? It's very possible that we've ruined one another's fishing on several occasions! ;)

He said they don't have a B&M storefront, but that I could certainly arrange a time to stop by if I like (which I probably would, just to talk and see some of this stuff in person). I'd imagine an email to the guy would get you the same response.

Holy cow, fishinguy, where are you located? It's very possible that we've ruined one another's fishing on several occasions! ;)

He said they don't have a B&M storefront, but that I could certainly arrange a time to stop by if I like (which I probably would, just to talk and see some of this stuff in person). I'd imagine an email to the guy would get you the same response.

just outside of the west end of greensburg, near Seton hill.

One thing is hooks you need to buy online abroad.

The other thing is discontinued hooks.

Thinking Partridge J1A especially in size 2 and 6 (no Good subs available)

The TMC 206bl #6 (they have them downwards still, subs available)

Mustad 3399 wet fly hooks (kamasan is ok sub)

H

One thing is hooks you need to buy online abroad.

The other thing is discontinued hooks.

Thinking Partridge J1A especially in size 2 and 6 (no Good subs available)

The TMC 206bl #6 (they have them downwards still, subs available)

Mustad 3399 wet fly hooks (kamasan is ok sub)

H

Yes discontinued is irritating because finding a sub doesn't always work out in some way or another.. I agree 100%

And right now I'm looking to replace some Accupoints no longer made. I also desire to go fly fishing and it's too danged cold out even though there is open water so far ( not that that is relevant ) !! I guess the 65 yo me is feeling cranky but at least now in Jan the sun is going in the right direction !