Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
elleg4

Hooks

Whenever there is a discussion about presentation vs pattern, the weight of opinion seems to be on presentation most of the time. Now when you add the possibility of an unavailable hook that the pattern could be tied on vs another similar but not identical available hooks, I genuinely wonder what the opinions would be. I think hooks are important but considered in the greater context of all of fly fishing, I wonder how important.... What an existential fly fishing conundrum.

I have an entire winter before I fly fish and my mind is already obsessing. Poor me!

"I think hooks are important but considered in the greater context of all of fly fishing, I wonder how important..."

Spears work pretty good once you figure out the water diffraction phenomenon. Tough to tie a fly on though.

it's 1/4 personal preference, 1/4 hook shape-size, and 1/2 bullsh*t. No two of the things we try to imitate with our creations are identically the same shape and size when a fish sees it and decides to eat. Every single insect, fish, amphibian, whatever is curved in a slightly different way than the one right next to it, so it is MUCH more important to the fisherman than to the fish- within reason. So a miniscule difference in hook shape from one brand to the next is nearly meaningless in my observations. People want to give fish, especially the Worshipful Trout, way too much credit when it comes to this stuff.

I buy Mustad or whatever. Not anal about hooks. But then I'm not tying for the camera, where hook shape MAY be important.

I try to buy only hooks that I can buy in bulk (1000 per size) here in the USA. As a result I've cut down to Owner USA, and Mustad (Shorty's hook sales). Lots of really high quality hooks around - but most are only packaged for retail customers and you simply can't buy quantity (and at wholesale....). This isn't something that most will ever have a problem with -but for me it's an aggravation....

Holy cow, fishinguy, where are you located? It's very possible that we've ruined one another's fishing on several occasions! wink.png

He said they don't have a B&M storefront, but that I could certainly arrange a time to stop by if I like (which I probably would, just to talk and see some of this stuff in person). I'd imagine an email to the guy would get you the same response.

just outside of the west end of greensburg, near Seton hill.

Wow, I'm over toward Latrobe.

Small world!

it's 1/4 personal preference, 1/4 hook shape-size, and 1/2 bullsh*t. No two of the things we try to imitate with our creations are identically the same shape and size when a fish sees it and decides to eat. Every single insect, fish, amphibian, whatever is curved in a slightly different way than the one right next to it, so it is MUCH more important to the fisherman than to the fish- within reason. So a miniscule difference in hook shape from one brand to the next is nearly meaningless in my observations. People want to give fish, especially the Worshipful Trout, way too much credit when it comes to this stuff.

This pretty much sums it up.

Also, to say that we live in a third world of fly tying is total BS. We have never had it better than now, and there are more pieces of fuzz fluff and junk than we could ever imagine useful flies for...

Sorry for the answering so late to all the questions. I was VERY frustrated when I made my statement. Indeed Mustad, Gamakatzu, TMC, etc. but only limited models; none for Tenkara fishing or spade/flat hooks.

For the people that fly fish with a horse hair line I recommend spade hooks and, to protect the line, make the hook "softer" so it will open so to release a too large fish.

As soon as possible (how to properly use a video camera) I will post a tutorial how to make a horse hair line that will last you a lifetime.

Thank you.

Let me reframe: they American Kamakatzu representative "will not and will never consider to import certain hooks design including that one to tie the tenkara flies

Look, when I say that I feel like I am in the third world of fishing I don't say it a derogatory way; I jest pointing out that our choices are very limited in confront to other nations: France, Italy, Spain etch. I am fluent in most European languages, I serf the net constantly for new products :80% of my fishing materials come from abroad. Did you eve see this hook made by Mustad: 10872 Maru-Seigo? I tie most of the tenkara and classic flies......I buy that hook in Sweden

Thank you and have a great day

Just out of curiosity I googled Mustad 10872 Maru-Seigo to see what it looked like. I've tied one fly on a spade/flat hook and that was on one of the gold Mustad size 32. And once was enough. The Mustad 10546BN KVD Drop Shot is a dead ringer for the 10872MS They're both designed to be snelled. The only difference is the 10546BN has an upturned eye and the smallest size they make is a 6. Not much good for tying Tenkara or classic flies. So no I haven't seen that particular model. I have seen that style. We call them Mosquito hooks or Drop shot hooks. Not designed for fly tying, but some of us use them. I use one Mustad hook for fly tying mainly because when I first started tying Mustads usually had to be sharpened before fishing. I'm sure they've improved the quality. The one I use is the 3777BR. Mainly for poppers but I've got an idea for a bass size boobie fly that its well suited for. It's sharp right out of the box.