Fly Tying
essequamvideri

teaching fly tying

another resource is scott cesari's fly tying

http://www.scottcesariflytying.com/resources/beginner-fly-tying-class/part-1-tools-primer/

i just cannot envision a bunch of newbie tyers sitting down at a vise and tying a wooly bugger as their first fly without even knowing what the hell are all the tools are for and why we do this and why we do that

I do it all the time. Most people want to jump right in and start winding thread. I do go over the different tools and how to use them mostly when I am trying to illustrate a particular technique. If I was doing the class spread out over several sessions I probably would spend more time on the tools, proportions etc.

I think you should teach them to ty a wooly bugger straight away, easier then a realistic mayfly emerger! Anyone wanting to take a class must have some interest already & has already spent time looking on youtube!?!

Michael,

Over the last 18 years I have taught many many fly tying classes beginner to advanced. With six weeks you have a lot of time to break it all down. The most important thing I can pass along is it is your class, you should have an idea of how you want to approach it, go from there. As Mike stated instructors all teach differently and put their own touch to the class. you also did not state how long each class was going to be. Start out with explaining the tools, how to load the bobbin, different threads, what the different materials are, how to place the hook in the hook in the vice. Then work on thread control as was stated above, it is the #1 thing to better flies. always leave time at the end for questions and one on one time. What ever patterns you start with you need to explain not only what each step is but why it is done that way,placed in that area of the hook and at that stage of the fly, and the correct proportions for that particular fly. All of the beginning points are a foundation and each student can build from there. One thing I do is encourage them practice the fly/flies we have tied at home and I make sure they have the phone number to the shop so if they get stuck one of us can talk them through it. Nothing like taking a class Saturday only to get hung up on a technique Monday evening and stop tying until next class. practicing correct form is important at the beginning. good luck and let us know how it works out.

Steve

Finally getting back to this post.

Again, huge thanks to everyone for their help with ideas. Looks like we have a descent plan in place with lots of room for change. I've now been informed that there might not be anyone new but a hand full of intermediate tiers. Not really sure how this is going to work out, but it should be interesting either way.

Michael

if i were you, i would try to teach based on your strong points, what you feel you would be able to explain well. teaching isnt an easy task but teaching techniques and flies you tie well will translate to beginners better. i think anyways. howerver i started with san juan worms,griffith gnats and wooley buggers.

I would simply teach a few flies you are very familiar with that you have a good technique for. your confidence will translate to the students better if you are confident in the flys you teach them to tie.

I teach SW classes all the time. Since this is a multiple night class you have a lot of options. Start off simple and show them the basics of loading and threading a bobbin, attaching thread, using scissors - not clipping wire and not cutting thread, start with simple half hitch. For tools and techniques don't do it all in one night, add one or two in every week. The flies should be simple, three or fours steps to start and build on the steps every week. For SW I always start with a Blond. Simple, shows how to attach thread, secure material around or on top of the hook, wrap material along the shank, tie in bucktail onto of the shank, create simple head and tie off. These few basic steps are the starting point for the next fly, a Clouser.

Since you have a basic geographic area where your students will fish, try to match the flies that are simple and work throughout the year - 2 per season. Every week also introduce and teach them about a new material and then use it on the fly. Spend 1/2 the time instructing and 1/2 tying. Also, assign Homework. Tell them you want to see 4-6 flies next week so they practice. Praise them for what they make and don't be to critical, just encourage them to tie more and get better. Don't have a contest to see who ties the best. The best fly is one that is tied and fished. The quality of the fly is not important they produce, but understanding what they are doing and having the next one turn out better than the last. Don't compare one persons fly to another persons fly, compare them to yours. This is not a job, so keep it fun. Lastly, my two golden rule: "If it looks like shit going on the hook, it will look like shit at then end." and "A razor-blade is you best friend"

X 2 on flytire. I have that book. Been tying since 09 and still use it. I'm still a newbie wish I wasn't.