Fly Tying

Roland, Mudhole just had a sale on MHX rod kits, including their fly rod kits. Building one would get you into a decent grade rod for less dough than buying outright. you will find in most of the rod building forums that MHX blanks are used in a lot of custom rods they build.There are others too, that one just popped in my head is all.

That said, did you see my posting on the Echo combination kit ( rod , reel, line, rod case, backing) ?

Ditto with Dave G. I suggest you take a hard look at the Echo Base for your price range in a rod. Don't know about the reel in the combo set up. Checkout the Yellowstone Angler 2016 5 wt shootout. About 3 years ago, I had never heard of Echo. Bought a 4 wt Edge and liked it so well, I bought a 3 wt also. As good as some of my other rods at 4 or 5 times the price? No, but damn close in performance. I see South Holston River Fly Shop is selling Lamson Guru 1.5 reels for $129. Suggest you call if interested. Their online inventory sometimes does not match what they have in stock.

Ditto with Dave G. I suggest you take a hard look at the Echo Base for your price range in a rod. Don't know about the reel in the combo set up. Checkout the Yellowstone Angler 2016 5 wt shootout. About 3 years ago, I had never heard of Echo. Bought a 4 wt Edge and liked it so well, I bought a 3 wt also. As good as some of my other rods at 4 or 5 times the price? No, but damn close in performance. I see South Holston River Fly Shop is selling Lamson Guru 1.5 reels for $129. Suggest you call if interested. Their online inventory sometimes does not match what they have in stock.

I have an Echo II 9 ft 6 wt with two tips. Using the fast tip It will outcast my Sage Graphite III and about equal with the soft tip. I use a Battenkill reel on it. But the new Battenkills are not disk drag, mine is.

I built a 9ft 5 weight Batson last winter and that outcasts my sage 8'6" graphite III by a fair margin. All I wanted was the length for line control but gained more go too.

Cabelas has their RLS+ combo on sale for $159 right now(regular $319). Rod, reel,line, leader and case. Might be worth a look Roland.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/fly-fishing-combo-sale|/pc/105625080/c/661997880/cabela-s-rls-fly-combo/1555116.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D661997880

That thing is always on sale it seems. I bought one in 4wt for my wife. It's pretty nice, would have been disappointed if I paid $300 though. I did land a carp on it, but 1 fish is no testament to the longevity of a reel. IMG_20141005_181311_498_zps1bhnnam8.jpg

5adabb7732e3842249439f36a4c30bd4.jpg

Why do people try to improve on perfection, that is more than I started with in 1956 ! It has a reel !

There is no way that a $300 reel is any better than this thing right here.

Just palm that spool and that's all the drag you need!

Loose tolerances and subpar materials? Nonsense! Just treat your gear with care and respect and this thing should last for decades!

There is no way that a $300 reel is any better than this thing right here.

Just palm that spool and that's all the drag you need!

Loose tolerances and subpar materials? Nonsense! Just treat your gear with care and respect and this thing should last for decades!

Ah he finally came around! Lol dont forget a coat of varnish every now and then and watch the splinters palming the spool :)