Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutinturnie

Mustad fly clips

Question for you all,

Anyone have any experience using the mustard fly clips for easy fly changing? I'm wondering about them for pike fishing with 3-6 inch flies. If used the smaller ones for changing flies while smallmouth bass fishing but would love to know how they withstand 10-15+lb northerns? And can I just tie one onto the end of my knotable steel leader? It would make things so much more convenient this spring!

I've seen those ... but the scare me. I've brought a fish in, too many times, with the knot pulled around next to the hook. If the hook eye gap was a little open, I know I'd have lost some of those fish. So, looking at those "open" clips ... nooooooo, not for me.

I DO use Berkley cross-lock snaps with my conventional gear. They are light, and would probably work just fine with fly fishing gear ... especially with all that pike fly terminal gear.

I used them for years. Not Mustad precisely but other brands. Recently bought a couple of packs (they come in sizes) from a Cabela store. If you use the right size, they shouldn't let the hook fall off, as the gap in the clip is smaller than the diameter of at least all the hooks I've used. They probably aren't much good with tiny trout fly hooks... I only use them with size 8 and larger.

My father in law uses them with trout flies. I've a pack in my vest never used, same fear as MikeChell. They also add weight to your fly which may or may not be a bonus.

I use them for ice fishing (hard to tie knots with cold fingers) but if there is a need they would work fine fly fishing. No worries with targeting larger fish I have pulled in Pike and Walleye and the little Mustad clips work just fine.

I'd just feel better with a snap I guess. But I've used the clips with no problem on smaller fish. I've since gotten away from them. For Northern Pike though I'd probably do as Mike suggested and use a snap, like I do for Bluefish..

I am somewhat sure the clips won't slip off the hook. They are probably fine if, as stated above, you have the right size for the hooks you're using.

But I guess it's the closest thing to a phobia I have. I look at it and it just see the trophy fish of the day swimming off as I am looking at an empty clip. oooooo sends a shiver down my spine.

I am somewhat sure the clips won't slip off the hook. They are probably fine if, as stated above, you have the right size for the hooks you're using.

But I guess it's the closest thing to a phobia I have. I look at it and it just see the trophy fish of the day swimming off as I am looking at an empty clip. oooooo sends a shiver down my spine.

Truth be known, It's mostly a matter of convenience and out of habit for me , every tackle store has snaps.

I've had snaps fail and not lose a fish though, so it's not just about the Mustad clips.. I use snaps and snap swivels when trolling for salmon, it makes quick work of changing lures or streamers on a lead core rig. I have brought salmon to the boat to find the snap opened up. It's always a case of my lousy eyes didn't see that the snap didn't really clip or an old snap that has started to lose it's tension and either I'm out of replacement snaps or too lazy to dig through what ever gear to find one. On second thought, I might be better off with the clips LOL !!

I use the fas-snap brand. Piker.. they're exceptionally light, and surely don't add significant weight to things like poppers and hoppers, etc.

I use the fas-snap brand. Piker.. they're exceptionally light, and surely don't add significant weight to things like poppers and hoppers, etc.

Yes, those are the ones I used to use maybe 20 years ago, mostly wet fly fishing. Never tried them on dries but as I recall you could get these down to a size suitable..

The Mustads spiral further around and actually cause an interlock FWIW. But probably heavier.

i like using the clips while im ice fishing, simple small easy to use and have never had an issue durring hook set

I wouldn't be using them for dry fly fishing, I'm talking about 2/0-4/0 deceiver patterns or zonker strip pike flies. The flies the selfs are fairly heavy so I don't think a clip or snap will effect the cast. The teeth to so much damage on flies and the knotable steel leader doesn't take long before you are adding on sections due to fly changes.

Is there a trick to changing flies when using small quick snaps, I like using them instead of fighting light tippet line that is getting harder for me to see when fishing. I can put a fly on the clip but I can not take a fly off without using a small vice grip to hold the clip. Thanks Gary

I have used the Mustad brand but prefer the Fas-Snap.

As for taking flies off, I place my thumb nail between the tag and eyelet. As you are pushing the fly towards the opening, your thumb nail assists in opening the gap ever so slightly larger.

I always make a point of attaching the fly on the same side of hook, this way you can change much easier.

I have yet, lost a fish (2 to 15lb rainbow trout) due to the fly coming off the Fas-Snap.