Fly Tying
deerhairdan

February Flies From the Bench

No problem Randi, but every time I try to post the pattern and instructions the server boots me out. Will try later.

Bead Bodied Stonefly Nymphs:

attachicon.gifDSC_0908.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0922.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0923.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0921.JPG

I tie these in a variety of colors, and sizes

I like these a lot. I do a ton of tying with glass beads but for some reason have never thought about doing stonefly bodies with them. Have some concerns about the beads holding up when bounced along the river bottom though. A coat of UV might help keep them in one piece. Have you had these break much?

J

UV2%20BIOT%20BUFFALO%20JUMP_zps1oarzb5v.

UV2 BIOT BUFFALO JUMP – PlanetTrout/Variant – TMC 113BLH, #8 – #12…

bj-water-color-1_zpsywgeihn8.jpg

They might work… EWR BROWN, Jason Bordash Watercolor…

WINGED%20NYMPH%20BLACK%20GRP_zpsslw4bk0w

WINGED NYMPHs (Black)…

PT/TB

Jokey,

They don't but they are very light flys. You could also use any bead really, brass or tungston for weight.

Bead body stonefly nymph:

Hook: TMC 200R #4, 6, 8

Tail: Turkey Biots

Butt Ball: Dubbing

Abdomen: 4 Beads proportunate to hook size ( I used Spirit River Large beads 6/0 for a #4 tie, 5/32 for a # 6 )

Wingcase: Swiss Straw aka Plastic Raffia

Thorax: Dubbing (I like Scintilla, but could use angora goat sub, Hare-Tron, SOW scud, or even leech yarn if you don't want to dub)

Front Legs: Gunea Hen

Antennae: Turkey Biots

Thread: 6/0

Directions:

1) Put beads on hook (if you desire a tapered effect larger to the front, smaller to the tail)

2 Tie in just in front of hook point

3) Tie in 2 biots for tail

4) Add a small amount of dubbing wax to thread and dub a small Butt Ball

5) Tie off and cement

6) Move beads to the butt ball and tie on as normal leaving enough space for your whip finish on bare hook. Wrap neatly back to beads

7) Tie in a length of Swiss Straw (for smaller hooks you will have to split it lenghtwise with a razor blade )

8) You will repeat this next step 3 times for the thorax. With a dubbing loop dub the last 1/3 of the thorax only Neatly fold the swiss straw (I use a clean bodkin)

to cover the front bead to where your thread is now. Tie down and fold the swiss straw to the rear again. Repeat but don't tie off the swiss straw on the final segment

9) Strip one side of your guinea feather, tie in, 2 wraps, tie off. Your option now is to either trim the superior portion of the hackle or tie back under

for the legs.

10) Tie 2 biots for antennae. You should be working on bare hook

11) Fold over last wingcase segment and tie off

12) Whip finish and cement. Head should be small

PS: You may wish to coat the wingcase with clear cement or nail polish as it gets a bit frayed over the course of the day

Thats the way I do it. You can modify the steps to suit your liking. Have fun

Deerhairdan, which dvd do you suggest i get? (if i were to get just one)

Whichever fly you plan on tying....

The only one I purchased originally was the diver dvd and that taught me enough to tie everything I know. I have not seen the others. The techniques and basics are probably the same or similar in each video, but I would probably recommend getting all of them.....he sells them in a set for cheaper then individually.

Testing uploading photos with phone for the first time. Hopefully everything works out fine. If it does here is a quick mouse I just whipped up. So simple yet effective.

post-44005-0-63335800-1454637425_thumb.jpg

Deerhairdan, which dvd do you suggest i get? (if i were to get just one)

Whichever fly you plan on tying....

The only one I purchased originally was the diver dvd and that taught me enough to tie everything I know. I have not seen the others. The techniques and basics are probably the same or similar in each video, but I would probably recommend getting all of them.....he sells them in a set for cheaper then individually.

I agree. The techniques you see and learn in the diver DVD can be applied to basically any deer hair fly. I own this one and the baby merganser DVD, both are excellent, but if I had to pick one it would be the deer hair diver.

Working on spinning hair for my bass box. Still dont know how some of you guys can do it so well. Truly pieces of art. This is the best ive been able to come up with so far. Along with a balsa frog popper and a worm pattern im hopping will be a hit with the bass.

IMG_3050.JPGIMG_3052.JPGIMG_3053.JPGIMG_3054.JPGIMG_3061.JPGIMG_3055.JPG

Fish for life ... you're deer hair looks just fine. Great stacking job. As far as how tight others pack theirs ... I think they use industrial pile drivers to get it that tight. Or a Fugly packer, which ever is closer to hand.

Yours will catch fish just fine.