Fly Tying
m_grieb

Muddler Minnow calf tail substitutions

Hello again,

Im looking into tying some renditions of muddlers and don't have calf tail. I was thinking that instead of getting calf tail, I might as well use a substitute. What are some materials you guys have used for the wing in muddlers? im not necessarily looking for a substitute that behaves the same way, but rather something that can take its place and still work/look good/etc.

Thanks

I use squirrel tail or badger for the hair portion of the wing on standard Muddlers. I've also used Black-Bear hair. Of course there's always marabou Muddlers and zonker strip Muddlers.

Hello again,

Im looking into tying some renditions of muddlers and don't have calf tail. I was thinking that instead of getting calf tail, I might as well use a substitute. What are some materials you guys have used for the wing in muddlers? im not necessarily looking for a substitute that behaves the same way, but rather something that can take its place and still work/look good/etc.

Thanks

You could probably use bucktail, or squirrel tail.

Heck, you could use a bit of yarn, combed out, or flashaboo.... Any stranded material. Just pick a color and texture you like.

For the head you could use deer hair, elk hair, antelope, moose, sculpen wool, dubbing just use your imagination there's no tying police, get creative!

Oh i have no lack of imagination when it comes to things like this lol. I was just curious as to what others have had success with

I mostly use Real Red Squirrel ( in other words not grey squirrel died red) in my Muddlers for fishing up north, that and dark mottled turkey vs tan or medium or barred. now and then for around home I use Grey squirrel. for salt I've used olive bucktail in my Montauk Minnows which nothing more than a glorified Muddler. Now and then I do use yellow calves tail, for some reason in the fall up north salmon will fall for them, I think it's that there are a lot of yellowish hoppers around in late Aug and into Sept. just a guess though. But yeah, my main general tie of Muddlers uses Red Squirrel for that inner wing and also often for the tag as well..

Speaking of the tag, ever fish a muddler with no tag ? They aren't very productive I've found and if your tags are made from two Turkey pieces and fishing is hot, you're gonna lose the tag eventually ( turkey is only so tough), thus my little search for other materials and I thought why not the inner wing material. IE Red Squirrel, Grey etc.

My initial thought too Flytire. Thought the calf tail variant came about as an easier alternative although your original there is definitely a hair wing.

I like squirrel in mine as I have lots of it and its stiff enough to keep some form and not just fold over the body when wet.

Geez it's been awhile since I tied a Muddler and I couldn't remember using calf tail in any variation I did.

Appreciate the clarification.