Fly Tying
skeet3t

Classes of fly quality

I have been in contact with a fellow who is working with a local college business class about starting fly tying in third world countries to help generate income for the local people. One thing he mentioned is that he was told there were three classes or grades of fly quality- A, B, and C. I'm not an expert on this )but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once). Is there such a thing as the classification? If so, where can I get the specifications as to the different classes or grades? Thanks.

I know someone who winters in Thailand and has been to the fly tying factories. It takes them a few seconds to tie a fly, which is good since they get paid by the piece.

I think flies are a less than ideal way to "generate income for the local people". There are many so sources already, and the market is saturated, I'd think.

As far as grading, I've never seen different quality flies for sale. It's not like there's an "A", "B" and "C" fly on the same style in the display boxes at the fly stores. There are, however, the average (easy to tie) and the tiny and larger (harder to tie) flies. Perhaps the grading system isn't about quality, but about difficulty in tying.

If graded, I would think it would have to do with the difficulty of the pattern and how long it takes to tie one. They're tied in sweat shops, according to him, by women.

Hey May have been referring to material grades like capes and how that cost affects the cost of the final product.

I personally would not support sweat shop fly tying, my local shop only sells flies tied locally from his network of friends, that's the way it should be. I have no problem with buying international tied flies as long as there is work place ethics.

I don't think the college students would be sponsoring sweat shops. Go to any type of store and see how much merchandise is made overseas. I am told that Chinese factory workers get the equivalent of $500 a month. Do you remember Walmart's "Buy American" campaign? Where is it now?

I agree with the responses. I have never seen any type official grading system. It would be difficult in my opinion to set standards for each grade, seeing as we all have or own opinions as to what is good.

Yea you pretty much have two grades, good and falls apart! Lol

I don't think the college students would be sponsoring sweat shops. Go to any type of store and see how much merchandise is made overseas. I am told that Chinese factory workers get the equivalent of $500 a month. Do you remember Walmart's "Buy American" campaign? Where is it now?

true, but would you tie 8 dozen flies a day for $500 a month? And that's only the equivalent. I cant live on $500 a month.

If there getting 500 a month and tying 8 dozen flies a day 5days a week they are making 2.6 cents a fly!

The cost of living varies widely from country to country and even from region to region. The cost of living varies widely in the US. Check out housing in California and other states. California has five of the ten most expensive housing in the US. My wife subscribes to Better Homes and Gardens. They run a section on places to live with the housing being the most interesting as to the median price of a house in a certain city. People must make a lot more than I did or they are working two jobs to make the payments. I couldn't afford my house now at it appraised value; lived here 19 years. I had a friend who moved to the San Francisco area from Louisville, KY in the mid 70s. His wife had to work so they could afford a place to live- couldn't make it on his salary.

We are getting off topic a bit here and didn't mean to start a debate. That wasn't the question. To sum it up, there doesn't seem to be the classification for tied flies that was mentioned to my friend. Thanks to all for their input on the topic.