Fly Tying
RexW

Fugly Hair Packed Sizes?

Cold, you mean to say you can drive tight running screws easier with two, maybe three fingers compared to your whole hand or maybe two hands? I think you might be fibbing to us.

Are you sure you weren't dreaming about that home improvement project instead of actually doing it? BTW, I probably have and do drive more fasteners of all types in a year's time than you will in a lifetime. I just don't tell tall tales about it.

Funny how quick you are to make assumptions when you've got nothing else. How somehow you deciding that you use a screwdriver more than someone else on the internet means something.

I (and a few others) express a little skepticism and ask for some proof, and the next thing you know, I'm lying about doing home improvement projects and you apparently have gained some sort of clairvoyance about the amount of screws I will drive in my lifetime. Obviously, you're some kind of fortune teller or wizard or something...though with your powers, maybe a life of screw driving is a bit below your potential.

Plainly stated: You either knowingly overextended my analogy to an irrelevant point (I used the screwdriver example to illustrate the difficulty in alignment increasing over distance), and now you're either confusing alignment over distance with rotational force, or you aren't quite sure how analogies work, and sincerely believe that every aspect of an example must line up. Either way, you've demonstrated a lack of either the ability or willingness to engage in an intelligent exchange of thoughts, and have defaulted to a narrow-minded "me vs them" dynamic, which doesn't really help anyone in the thread.

Sorry for stirring you up so badly...you're obviously very sensitive about these things, and I've violated your feelings safety zone with some disagreement. Maybe the internet is a little too rough & tumble for you.

...for everyone else who uses this packer that isn't as hypersensitive: I'm still very open to a reasonable explanation as to what it lets you do or makes easier, that a smaller packer that allows more direction and control can't. As I said, I'd love to add a tool to the bench that'd improve my hair packing (it's okay as-is, bu could always be better), but based on everything I've seen, read, and checked out in person, the fugly does exactly what every other packer does, but more awkwardly (by making you do it from farther away). And the hypersensitive folks that resort to speculation as soon as there's any challenge to their notions only suggests that I'm more accurate in that analysis than those people are comfortable accepting.

Ultimately, the best hair stackers (the tyers, not the tools) don't need any tool at all to get tightly packed hair. And if you need to use more force than what you can apply with a smaller packer, you aren't going to be able to find any additional force with a larger tool, since it's not a lever, but merely an extension. All you're doing is making it more difficult to align the application of that force with the hook shank by increasing the distance along which those forces need to be aligned. If there's something else at play, by all means, give voice to it.

On the Brassie versus the Fugly thing. I have two sizes of the Brassie and one of the Fugly. I also use this other gadget which looks like an axle attached to a single wheel. The plastic wheel has 4 different size holes in it which helps push hair back to find the eye of the hook. These topics are subjective so my comments are only and just my personal observations.

• Chris Helm could tie a denser bug with the brassie than I ever could, on my best day, with the fugly.
  • Chris attached the brassie to his wrist with a leash so he would always know where it was.
  • Mine are burried somewhere on my bench and two minutes after putting them down they are lost.
  • The enormity of the fugly sure helps locate it.
  • I always though the Brassie was expensive for a small folded-over strip of metal.
  • I never felt I overpaid for the fugly.
  • The brassie would fold like a butterfly if I used as much force as with the fugly.
  • I often cut the thread when using the brassie, even on gsp.
  • I rarely cut the thread with the fugly.
  • Mike George ties a great bug in his video without the use of any packer.
  • Through the years there were many great deer hair tyers that used their fingers only.
  • I appreciate and use both the brassies and the fugly.
  • stranded on a desert island with a choice of either? Take the fugly!

Cold,

You are wrong about everyone here needing to prove the tool to you cold, we here dont need to do that at all. In fact if you want people to prove the tool to you, you should probably start your an thread asking for such, you admiditly have no experience with the tool asked about in the post so the only explanation of what you are doing here is trolling, you've provided nothing but try to stir things up. Please people if you have nothing to say about the actual question posted dont post!

Where, at any point, did I say that anyone needed to prove anything to me?

I'm giving my take based on seeing and handling the item, and asking people how it is an improvement over other stuff that has come before. I'm sorry that you are so upset by someone asking a question.

With due respect, you're not a moderator, so I don't really care whether you want me to post or not, and it's not your place to tell other users where they should and shouldn't post.

I'm giving my take based on seeing and handling the item, and asking people how it is an improvement over other stuff that has come before. I'm sorry that you are so upset by someone asking a question.

With due respect, you're not a moderator, so I don't really care whether you want me to post or not, and it's not your place to tell other users where they should and shouldn't post.

You have said several times here for someone to show you how its better, read your posts. Your right im not a moderator but you said yourself you have not experience with this tool and the original poster asked which size fugly packer should he get? Not, why is the fugly packer not a better tool, so did you answer his question? Or did you in fact dump on his thread? If you want to post why the fugly packer couldn't be any better than a brassie forum ethics says you do so on your own thread!

On the Brassie versus the Fugly thing. I have two sizes of the Brassie and one of the Fugly. I also use this other gadget which looks like an axle attached to a single wheel. The plastic wheel has 4 different size holes in it which helps push hair back to find the eye of the hook. These topics are subjective so my comments are only and just my personal observations.

• Chris Helm could tie a denser bug with the brassie than I ever could, on my best day, with the fugly.
  • Chris attached the brassie to his wrist with a leash so he would always know where it was.
  • Mine are burried somewhere on my bench and two minutes after putting them down they are lost.
  • The enormity of the fugly sure helps locate it.
  • I always though the Brassie was expensive for a small folded-over strip of metal.
  • I never felt I overpaid for the fugly.
  • The brassie would fold like a butterfly if I used as much force as with the fugly.
  • I often cut the thread when using the brassie, even on gsp.
  • I rarely cut the thread with the fugly.
  • Mike George ties a great bug in his video without the use of any packer.
  • Through the years there were many great deer hair tyers that used their fingers only.
  • I appreciate and use both the brassies and the fugly.
  • stranded on a desert island with a choice of either? Take the fugly!

Good stuff.

I didn't recall any special coating or anything on the business end of the fugly, but it's been several months and I wasn't specifically looking: is there something added (or a different design) on the jaw ends of the fugly that reduces thread cutting compared to the brassie? I know my own copy is a bit sharp, but I've not really had any issues with thread cutting. That being said, such a difference might be enough to tip the scales for some tyers.

How much force do you need to use?! I can push with my brassie to the point that I'd be bending the hook, and the taper of the front of the brassie never budges. The fugly is no doubt heavier, so I guess if you need to apply that kind of force, it's the way to go, but I'd also take a look at your process and what you're doing that makes it necessary to use that kind of force...kind of like the old joke where the mechanic says, "We couldn't fix your brakes, so we made your horn louder!" If you can't pack tight enough with the brassie, consider looking at your methods, the thread you use, and how much hair you tie in at a go. Not saying your method is wrong, just that you might get better results with less effort by changing things up a bit.

I've never seen the tyers you mention in action, but I've seen a lot of really great tyers stack hair, as you said, with just their fingers. They make it look deceptively easy! I've tried that myself, but prefer to use the tool as it provides closer to a 360 degree pushing surface, where it was more uneven with my fingers.

You have said several times here for someone to show you how its better, read your posts. Your right im not a moderator but you said yourself you have not experience with this tool and the original poster asked which size fugly packer should he get? Not, why is the fugly packer not a better tool, so did you answer his question? Or did you in fact dump on his thread? If you want to post why the fugly packer couldn't be any better than a brassie forum ethics says you do so on your own thread!

Dude, OP's question was resolved, and a general discussion of the tool took place. Threads expand to cover a wider scope of the original topic all the time.

I wouldn't presume to tell you to give it a rest (because that's not my place), but seriously, I couldn't care less that you want to order me to stop posting, and all the exclamation points your keyboard has in it won't make a difference.

If anything, your tangent coming at me directly is less-on-topic than talking about the various hair packers, so if you want to follow your own lead, shoot me a nastygram via PM about it. (But that's just a suggestion, do what you like...that's the fun of an open discussion!)

Well this escalated quickly

Right? I think the op already had his question answered by several posters. It is not unusual for the original topic to stray a bit after the op's question had been answered. I'm now very curious as to what the actual difference is between the brassie and the fugly. Is it gripper cuz of the bump? Is it just heavier, more confidence inspiring metal? I own neither and have never packed hair.

I also use this other gadget which looks like an axle attached to a single wheel. The plastic wheel has 4 different size holes in it which helps push hair back to find the eye of the hook.

I've seen those before too, but they always seemed inferior to the brassie because the hole had to be big enough to fit over the eye.

When do you use it as opposed to the others?

Cold, you mean to say you can drive tight running screws easier with two, maybe three fingers compared to your whole hand or maybe two hands? I think you might be fibbing to us.

Are you sure you weren't dreaming about that home improvement project instead of actually doing it? BTW, I probably have and do drive more fasteners of all types in a year's time than you will in a lifetime. I just don't tell tall tales about it.

Funny how quick you are to make assumptions when you've got nothing else. How somehow you deciding that you use a screwdriver more than someone else on the internet means something.

I (and a few others) express a little skepticism and ask for some proof, and the next thing you know, I'm lying about doing home improvement projects and you apparently have gained some sort of clairvoyance about the amount of screws I will drive in my lifetime. Obviously, you're some kind of fortune teller or wizard or something...though with your powers, maybe a life of screw driving is a bit below your potential.

Plainly stated: You either knowingly overextended my analogy to an irrelevant point (I used the screwdriver example to illustrate the difficulty in alignment increasing over distance), and now you're either confusing alignment over distance with rotational force, or you aren't quite sure how analogies work, and sincerely believe that every aspect of an example must line up. Either way, you've demonstrated a lack of either the ability or willingness to engage in an intelligent exchange of thoughts, and have defaulted to a narrow-minded "me vs them" dynamic, which doesn't really help anyone in the thread.

Sorry for stirring you up so badly...you're obviously very sensitive about these things, and I've violated your feelings safety zone with some disagreement. Maybe the internet is a little too rough & tumble for you.

...for everyone else who uses this packer that isn't as hypersensitive: I'm still very open to a reasonable explanation as to what it lets you do or makes easier, that a smaller packer that allows more direction and control can't. As I said, I'd love to add a tool to the bench that'd improve my hair packing (it's okay as-is, bu could always be better), but based on everything I've seen, read, and checked out in person, the fugly does exactly what every other packer does, but more awkwardly (by making you do it from farther away). And the hypersensitive folks that resort to speculation as soon as there's any challenge to their notions only suggests that I'm more accurate in that analysis than those people are comfortable accepting.

Ultimately, the best hair stackers (the tyers, not the tools) don't need any tool at all to get tightly packed hair. And if you need to use more force than what you can apply with a smaller packer, you aren't going to be able to find any additional force with a larger tool, since it's not a lever, but merely an extension. All you're doing is making it more difficult to align the application of that force with the hook shank by increasing the distance along which those forces need to be aligned. If there's something else at play, by all means, give voice to it.

I'm saying this one final time, and I'm done: stop speculating and get the thing in your hands. It's remarkable to me that you know everything about the thing and what it can and can't do without ever touching one or using one. Make all the assumptions you want, they will remain just that: assumptions. I'm not a physicist, I can't explain it as well as it apparently needs to be explained to you. Speaking from the standpoint of someone who owns both, has used both extensively, and who feels like he can tie a decent deer hair bug, my Brassie packer has been collecting dust for 4 years. My Fugly is never out of reach. Try something for a change, instead of assuming and guessing. You might learn something.

Thank you Cream, well there you have it unless youve tried something you should say its not better than something else.

So cold, you not only dont use the fugly packer but your deer hair admiditly "needs work" so what value are you offering from your opinion?

'm saying this one final time, and I'm done: stop speculating and get the thing in your hands. It's remarkable to me that you know everything about the thing and what it can and can't do without ever touching one or using one.

Well, had you bothered to read, you'd have seen that have checked them out, as a friend of mine has one.

Since you've shown that you're not interested in normal, intelligent discourse, it's probably for the best that you're done.

Cream ... just because your deer hair flies are perfect, doesn't mean your using the right tool for the job!!!

Or, maybe it does ...

Thank you Cream, well there you have it unless youve tried something you should say its not better than something else.

So cold, you not only dont use the fugly packer but your deer hair admiditly "needs work" so what value are you offering from your opinion?

I don't know how many times you need it spelled out for you, but I'm looking for people to explain to me how they feel it works better than a brassie, which I've said repeatedly.

If you need me to repeat this in the future, I'll link you back to this post.

As far as my stacked hair "needing work", please show me where you lifted that one from? I've said I'm pleased with what I can do, but I'm always looking to improve. If you feel you have no room to improve, that's fine, and with that mindset, probably true.

So again, I couldn't care less that you keep trying to shout me down because I'm trying to discuss around you, you have a false sense of authority, and I really don't care whether you think I should post or not.