Fly Tying
Chia

Spinner

A friend of mine does not fly fish, but he wants to have some of my Woolly Buggers with a spinner like a rooster tail, Can anyone tell me where to purchase an inline spinner or the parts to make a rooster out of a woolly?

The little spinner blades, or I guess you could call them propellers, are wicked when tied at the head of a woolly bugger. Fish them downstream and let the current spin the blades and hang on...

I know Rollie and Helens musky shop had a good range of lure making stuff. Not sure if they're still going but I used to buy a fair bit of stuff off them.

Warning.... when using an inline spinner like a Rooster Tail on ultralight tackle, the spinner obeys the 2nd law of thermodynamics by twisting the line, thus leading to backlashes. Not exactly the same with fly-line but I'd expect it to twist the leader considerably. You might want to consider using the little offset spinners like they use on beetle spins. You can buy packs of those in tackle stores.

the spinner obeys the 2nd law of thermodynamics by twisting the line

Can you explain how that relates to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

As far as line winding up just install a good quality barrel swivel up line 3-6 ft or so, or use the same quality snap swivel. On our trolling rigs we actually do both for trolling spoons and spinners alike.. These days they make some nice small strong ones with good ball/barrel bearings.

The ones that I was referring to are Wapsi Propeller Blades found on page 33 in the 2016 J Stockard catalog. You place them between the hook eye and a beadhead or a conehead. I have never noticed any leader twist and they weigh practically nothing so it doesn't have any effect on your casting other than the weight of the bead or cone.

Great info! I was looking at a barrel swivel on the to reduce twist and add weight of used on an ultra light. I have a few offset spinners.

Great info! I was looking at a barrel swivel on the to reduce twist and add weight of used on an ultra light. I have a few offset spinners.

Thermodynamics aside (about which I'm more-than-skeptical, and I'd still like to hear the explanation), if you set it up properly, you shouldn't have too many twist issues.

Basically, you want to make sure that there is less friction at the point where a rotating piece meets a non-rotating piece (the hook in this case) than anywhere else in the system (for line twist, it occurs when there's more friction at the spinner than between the fly and the water).

The best setup I've seen, which is rarely imitated accurately in the fly world, is the way actual name brand rooster tails do it: the blade itself isn't directly attached on the shank of the lure. Rather, there is a tiny D-ring that passes through the blade, with a hole on each end that the shaft goes through. This whole assembly rides on the shank just above a small brass bead, which serves to create a low-friction (metal to metal, and only on a tiny area) transition between the rotating blade assembly and the rest of the non-rotating lure.

Something else you may consider to help would be to add a stiff wing, offset weight, or other features to the fly design to make it less "in the round" and more of a particular orientation...which will help it maintain stability in the water.

Look in the tackle box for some beetle spins where a fly can just be snapped on to the spinner blade instead of a jig hook. Not quite in line of a Rooster Tail, but an easy rig as long as a snap swivel is tied in from the main fishing line to the wire attachment circle.

Slide a Clevis on the the line ahead of the wooley bugger and put the blade on the Clevis. Like a walleye spinner rig. You can get the blades at any one of a thousand Internet sites or cabelas and BPS. In fact I just received an order today from cabelas with willow leaf blades and hooks to make my spring shad flutter spoons.

post-48414-0-89596600-1455241248_thumb.jpg

Slide a Clevis on the the line ahead of the wooley bugger and put the blade on the Clevis. Like a walleye spinner rig. You can get the blades at any one of a thousand Internet sites or cabelas and BPS. In fact I just received an order today from cabelas with willow leaf blades and hooks to make my spring shad flutter spoons.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's the word I was looking for. A clevis.

Put the clevis on ahead of a bead and you should be golden. Or silver.