Fly Tying
Chia

Spinner

Sort of like this?

post-10077-0-48142400-1455506374_thumb.jpg

Exactly the same as fly tying, spinner making does not involve black magic. People want to make it more complicated than it is.

Yes there is technique and detail to do it well.

The pic is of a style I've been making for years, and it is the worse for wear after having caught many smallmouths. If you want to remedy the issue of line twist, use dumbell eyes on whatever fly you tie to put behind the spinner components.

The eyes must be massive enough to act as a keel. It works well on woolly bugger style flies as well.

If not, there are many high quality snap-swivel options out there.

Everything you need is available at Janns's Netcraft. They also have tutorials. I've been making spinners and catching tons of fish on them for over 35 years.

I make another style with a #1 French blade in front of a #6 woolly worm, and it is an absolute killer on trout, everywhere I've ever been.

Get some #10 Stainless leader wire, wire forming pliers, blades, clevises, beads, bodies... tie the flies and catch fish.

I always get a big kick out of people spinner fishing because they speak of such success with them. And I don't doubt that success for a minute, it just hasn't worked for me. I've tried and my wife has tried various spinners over the years with no luck at all except many a yellow perch here or there. Even trolling them yields nothing for us. Yet spoons have been awesome and certain streamer flies. It's always intriguing , the creation of spinners and the concept looks great though.

JS that looks more like a Clouser than a WoollyBugger.

That's kind of funny...before I started fly fishing, spinners were my all-season, any-species #1 go-to lure. I'd take a few here and there on spoons, jigs, etc. but even to this day, I've probably taken more fish on a 1/16 oz rainbow trout rooster tail in any given year than any one fly pattern even allowing for various colors and sizes (even the famous woolly bugger).

That's kind of funny...before I started fly fishing, spinners were my all-season, any-species #1 go-to lure. I'd take a few here and there on spoons, jigs, etc. but even to this day, I've probably taken more fish on a 1/16 oz rainbow trout rooster tail in any given year than any one fly pattern even allowing for various colors and sizes (even the famous woolly bugger).

Before I took up fly fishing I was a worm guy or Colorado spoons. I also went bass fishing with rubber worms and grubs. If I could only take one hardware style lure fishing cross country it would be the 1/6oz Colorado Thomas spoon in silver and gold. I've caught everything on that lure from sunfish to 32" salmon, bass, pickerel, big browns in rivers in NH. My wife caught a small mouth bass pushing up near 6lb on that lure in the Kennebec river Me right below the red markers that indicate from that point upstream is fly fishing only. I believe I could travel from coast coast catching fish with that lure, wouldn't starve to death anyway ! In brook trout waters change it up to copper and silver or use a red Bouyant in the same Thomas series. Just me.

For flies my all time favorite for multi waters multi species is a peacock herl body and grizzly hackle with black tail woolly bugger. It catches trout, salmon, bass and panfish, just vary the size and fishing depth and speed accordingly. I tie them all weighted as well. It's a good early season large mouth bass fly too, tie it big is all, run it deep run it slow !

Locally on ponds for trout in the spring and fall, midges are by far king. You hit the right day you could top out with netting and releasing not a few fish but a dozen or more good solid trout.. Then in the summer it's hexes at night. Every fish in the pond comes up in a good hex hatch at night , all sizes.

If I am not fly fishing I use spinners or bait. I think the set up I was looking for was a barrel swivel.

It's a half-and-half. I didn't have a pic handy of the woolly worm pattern I make. On those, in trout sizes, I forego the dumbell eyes and use a quality snap swivel. No need to complicate things with barrel swivels and extra knots and leaders. It's a whole different topic I guess, but the satisfaction is the same. I tie the flies, craft the rest of the lure, and catch a lot of fish.

As in any type of fishing, success depends on presentation. How you work the lure is as important or more important than what that lure is. The simple chuck-it-out-and-reel-it-in story will work to a degree, just like it will with a dry fly. But if you pay attention to what you need to do, the success will be much greater.

Personally I get a kick out of "Before I started fly fishing" stories, as if it's some sort of graduation or milestone reached. It's just another method. Sometimes it's the answer to the given set of variables, sometimes it is not.

JS, it's about knowledge, it's about availability to some waters sometimes. For me taking up fly fishing meant catching fish in Maine in caddis hatches of spring, it meant fishing in fly fishing only restricted waters of which there are many through out the state of Maine. It meant locally ( SE Ma) catching many many fish per day vs perhaps none because the fish are on #18 and #20 midges all spring long and certainly in mid fall. Three of us showed up at a pond locally one day, a guy had been there spin fishing most of the afternoon and he said it was very slow, he had caught one rainbow yet fish were rising everywhere but everywhere on the pond. The two boys and I went far to his left out of his way and started casting, at the count of 50 fish between us he packed up his stuff and left. The fish were on midge pupa and we caught fish on almost every cast, certainly by every third cast, caught on little black fuzz balls on a small hook basically. I won't be so bold as to say you can't get fish with spinning gear in that situation but the likely hood that guy even knew what the fish were on is very doubtful ( emerging midges, I doubt he knew that or he might have at least tried a bubble and a nymph). Now I've seen it go the other way too where power bait fisherman are getting the fish. How many spin fisherman take up enough entomology to even know what is going on in front of them, Graduation ? Well ya, of sorts yes. Increased knowledge, Not supremacy but yes, you learn to figure out what the fish are on and then learn to get them after learning presentation, casting skills, tying skills ( because nobody but nobody around here at the time were selling black fuzz balls on a #20 or 18 hook, in fact I don't think they do even now). So ya, fly fishing is just another method . Just about anyone can pick up a spinning rig and go fishing though. And I'll leave it at that.

On another note I've told many a spin fisherman pond side who have asked about fly fishing, that it opens up another whole realm of fishing the waters . It increases possibilities. There is another whole world going on in that water that the average spin fisherman doesn't even think about. But first you have to pick up some extra skills, skills on gear, skills on flies, maybe/ probably fly tying ( at least around here in fresh water because it's not very well addressed commercially here and you coujld buy online but how do you know what to buy if you have no knowledge ) .

I partially agree with you, Dave, in that fly fishing opens up more possibilities.

However, if you then quit fishing in all the other fishing methods, you close many of the existing possibilities you already exploited.

As JS says, moving to fly fishing is not a graduation, anymore than a musician learning a new instrument would be.

I am VERY skilled at casting a spinning rig or baitcaster rig. I've been complimented on my ability to place a lure exactly where I want it. I've heard, on several occasions, "You can skip cast farther under docks and over hangs than anybody I've ever fished with before."

So, I'd take you up on that challenge of, "Just about anyone can pick up a spinning rig and go fishing though." There are places where a spinning rod or a baitcaster will outperform anyone with a fly rod.

On the OP ... I am not a spinner fan. I've never had an occasion where a lure with spinners outperformed any of my other "go-to" lures. I would have to hunt through my tackle to even find a lure with a spinner blade on it.

Obviously you are not the average spin fisherman, Mike. But you guys are right, you don't graduate to fly fishing, in my case I took it up in addition to spin fishing. I still spin fish as well. And troll lakes and salt water too.

Music, (piano and composition) is something I can't begin to get into a fly tying forum or begin to explain how it has worked in my life at all anywhere.

Cool, Dave.

That's one method I've never done ... trolling. Well, I should say, it's one method I've never had success with. I've tried it, and quit trying it within a few minutes. I even have a hard time casting to structure or cover on a depth finder. If I can't see it, I don't fish it.

I know that cuts out a lot if fishing ... and probably a lot of big fish, but I just like having a target to cast to.

We all have our preferences , Mike. But yeah if you don't care for fishing to underwater structure I can fully understand how trolling would turn you off. It is key to success. I mean before I had depth and bottom reading fish finders etc I dropped a bob down there to read it with or used maps, fished off points and known drops. It's pretty hit or miss to just go trolling all over the lake and hope for the best. Same with jigging. But absolutely it's always most fun to target surface "stuff" or in the case of trout, rising fish. Too, with bass fishing, it's pretty traditional stuff to cast and retrieve.

Where I troll and jig in salt water is over bottom holes in roughly 26-28 ft of water more or less. I more jig than troll really while drifting on the current, for sea bass in May out in Buzzards Bay. They will hang there through the month of May, there and along the channel drop of the canal. But you have to be careful of markers there and stay out of the channel proper, you can't fish from a boat in the main channel. Stripers will be in the channel and sometimes to the sides of the bouys. Interesting it is to get a striper when you're rigged for sea bass, been there done that.

I've tried both of those lures, FIN.

I've never caught a fish on a buzzbait. I love the sound of them, and used them a lot for a while, but lost my confidence after not catching anything worth note.

I caught one bass, about 4 pounds, on a spinner bait about 8 years ago (or so). Other than that one, nothing. When I first started fishing the St. Johns River, I used one every time out, off and on, as I'd drift with the current. But again, I've long since lost any confidence with them, since they never produced anything.

Now, as I said, I'd have to search through stuff on the shelf to even find anything with a spinning blade on it.

I took my spinner baits and cut the skirts off of them to use as rubber legs on poppers and other bass bugs a long time ago, decades ago.. A spinner bait looks about as appealing as my whip finisher, which actually has a purpose, but I wouldn't fish with it.

I'm surprised you don't have much luck with sooner baits for Bass Mike, they are a go to for me, jitter big crank bait spinner bait.

If I had to fish one lure across the country I think it would be a Panther Martin I've caught more trout on that than all other lures and baits combined.