Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
goofnoff

Snowshoe rabbit feet

The hind feet are the ones that are used.Don't know if the hair on the front foot would be long enough or float like the hind foot.

I use the underfur.

I only use the the bunny feet for flies 16 and under.

Of course the neat thing about The Usual is that it only uses one material.

I only have rear feet, but I looked at a set that they currently have on ebay, and they should work out just fine for smaller sized Usuals. I think that in larger sizes, it just won't have, or have enough of the longer guard hairs for the wing. If it's Cannon's bunny dun pattern, they should be just fine as well since the wing is not tied like a Usual or a regular parachute post.

Regards,

Mark

Anyone have a source for good snowhoe rabbit. Not regular rabbit feet, or wild rabbit feet, but real Snowshoe Rabbit.

Find a Nature's Spirit dealer. We have had good luck with them.

The best snowshoe rabbit's feet I have found come from HERE:

http://www.yellowpages.com/pemberton-mn/mip/white-fox-fur-feather-co-11022640

mat-posted-sw-flav_zps93y4azxu.jpg

That would be the ones on the left...not the one on the right. In any case a phone call will be required since they no longer have a web site...

PT/TB

The front feet hair/fur is a fine substitute for the rear - same properties, just a bit shorter. I don't usually bother with the front ones, but can tie comparadun style dries up to 16.

I've got some hind feet sitting in borax all dried if anyone is interested in a material or other swap. Only have a handful dry at the moment because I can only tie so much, but have an almost unlimited ongoing supply. We hunt them here and the hare season is 6 months long.

*disclaimer: offer void if it's illegal for me to mail them across state lines or whatever... would have to check with dnr first.

Are the wild ones superior to what you can buy in the store?

Maybe I am just repeating a rumor but I have read on other FF BBs that most of the "snowshoe" rabbit feet sold is actually European Hare that was imported to, and now is a pest in Australia. So rumor has it that the "snowshoe" feet being sold is actaully from European hare in Australia.

Real snowshoe rabbits are trapped in winter and they have more water repellant fur on thier feet than European hare.