Fly Tying

A while back, just about a year now I think in the saltwater section under a baitfish imitation. Some folks had inquired about tying with the synthetics and trimming, the tricky part which can make or ruin a bunch of material (ask me how I know) in a fly. So I did my first and only SBS, so far.

I wish more people would go for it like McFly and show their talents and techniques to help the many new comers to the addiction whom do appreciate all the info they can get.

A while back, just about a year now I think in the saltwater section under a baitfish imitation. Some folks had inquired about tying with the synthetics and trimming, the tricky part which can make or ruin a bunch of material (ask me how I know) in a fly. So I did my first and only SBS, so far.

I wish more people would go for it like McFly and show their talents and techniques to help the many new comers to the addiction whom do appreciate all the info they can get.

we do need more people to step up and give us stuff to watch, I may make a video myself here soon! well see what happens. I know what you mean about getting happy with the scissors :)

Yeah, trimming is a pain in the but, especially early on. After doing it a few times it becomes much easier. Check out my posting "mc bunker" tell me how I did. I'd love to get your opinion. The video was not as good as the newer ones, but the fly is one I tie regularly...

Yeah I'm not the best at tying, but like you said, you have to just go for it. But with the mentality of wanting to improve...

Went back and looked...it's on the salt page almost to the bottom ""Baitfish SBS picture heavy". Too bad the Banana river is very murky and with poor vis this winter because I sure want to get back out there. I mean you can barely see bottom in 15 inches of water. Really sucks.

Nice job on the bunker, usually takes me 30 min. to tie one. You made it look very easy and simple and should help those apprehensive about tying baitfish. Brushing out the material is a big must before pulling out the scissors and brushing again throughout the trimming process.

I gotta go fling some flies tomorrow some where now even if the water is muddy.

Nice job on the bunker, usually takes me 30 min. to tie one. You made it look very easy and simple and should help those apprehensive about tying baitfish. Brushing out the material is a big must before pulling out the scissors and brushing again throughout the trimming process.

I gotta go fling some flies tomorrow some where now even if the water is muddy.

Thanks! 30 minutes per fly? Wow! Yours must be amazing! I don't take that much effort. I just can't stand loosing a fly to a fish that I spend that much time on. Haha.

post-37956-0-52605100-1456031233_thumb.jpg

After long deliberation I decide to have a go at tying Borski's Redfish slider or my interpretation of it.

I think it may be a sparser tie than others .

Go easy guys it was my first and probably last effort lol

DSCN0038 (800x600).jpg

After long deliberation I decide to have a go at tying Borski's Redfish slider or my interpretation of it.

I think you did good. One thing I suggest is to cut down the head a bit thinner. It looks good thick, but I find that it doesn't sink the way I like unless there is less materials. But you might want it to sink slower. Give it a try, throw it in your bathtub and see how it sinks. Throw a line on it and see how it moves with subtle twitches. But overall it looks good. How large is that dumbell?

DSCN0038 (800x600).jpg

Btw is that the barracuda vice? So jealous! Haha.

DSCN0038 (800x600).jpg

Nicely done Retro.

Large dumbell eyes and it sinks pretty quick 6mm plus igor eye inserts covered with a coating of UV

And yes it is a barracuda vise

And Thanks Joe

I may just try this one in our local freshwater as we have quite large freshwater shrimp in Australia

Also we have lot's of native gudgeons which this pattern could represent

Well I'll be ....just secured two orders for the slider ...one to England and the other to Scotland ....go figure lol

Well I'll be ....just secured two orders for the slider ...one to England and the other to Scotland ....go figure lol

You sell flies?

After 16 years of fly fishing and 12 years of tying I have never sold flies until now .

I tied for the art, enjoyment , and the fact that if I can make it ..... why buy ?

But duty calls and someone has requested flies on numerous occasions so I must bow to the pressures lol