Fly Tying
trevinski

Possum dub?

So I've been trying to fill up the dry fly boxes before the spring hatches start going off and I've been been using a lot of different dubs. What's the qualities of possum dubbing?? I tied about 12 different colored traditional Cahills before I noticed the dubbing said possum "nymph" dubbing. It's my most naturally colored dub so i really like it for my drys. Will this dub soak up water more quickly than say my hares ear dub or superfine?? I guess it could soak up floatant better as well?? Thanks guys.

Hi trevinski,

It's just fine for dry flies. The late Fran Betters used to use it for many of his dry fly patterns including his Ausable Wulff.

Regards,

Mark

I've been using Australian 'possum for years. It tends to be a little coarse, and a bit spiky, that's all. Once you dub the body, trim off any offending guard hairs, and go with it. With a good coat of floatant, it should work as well as anything else.

My preference for dry flies, is beaver, but hare's ear and 'possum are both in my fly box.

Camocole, it is from real possum and I have a couple that hang in my backyard. When it gets warm enough at night so I don't cause them any suffering and raise PETA wrath I go out and startle them at night. When they curl up and "die" and play possum I put them on wood board and shear them like you would a sheep with an old electric razor. By doing this while their winter coat is still full and fluffy I'm able to get enough from shearing the fur from those two possum to keep me in dubbing for the year, they're able to go about their normal lives, and my next year's batch of fur comes in better and stronger than that first shearing they undergo. I see it as a win-win for the possum and myself.

OK I just go with roadkill possum. The American seems finer and is called for in many Catskill and Southeast patterns. The Australian seems woolier. I would hate or love to hear how Vicrider obtains beaver...............

I find them in my trash can all the time, for as nasty as they look ive never had one try to bite me. I grab them by the scruff and put them back in the tree

American opposum as opposed to Australian possum which is a marsupial

Actually, both are marsupials. The opossum is the only marsupial in North America.

When I trapped I caught a lot of them. The fur as others have said makes very good dubbing. Get a garment grade tanned hide & the strips make some nice, large zonkers.

I don't use it often enough, but like it for strip type flies I'll use for bass or cut the fur for wings on flats type (Bonefish, Redfish, etc.) flies instead of calftail. Yes, it's very easy to dye!