Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trevinski

Show off your Cape/saddles.

Here is the Whiting Platinum Cree Neck I bought around 15 years ago. Still haven't removed a feather.

Bob

post-31285-0-04211300-1456460795_thumb.jpg

post-31285-0-12053600-1456460836_thumb.jpg

I ended up with a bunch of these in a pile of materials I traded for several years ago. I guess this thread is a good place to ask; anyone heard of this company or know anything about them? I haven't had much luck finding info.

post-51283-0-99260900-1456489923_thumb.jpeg

post-51283-0-13076300-1456489938_thumb.jpeg

A modest collection....

These are the best ones. There's probably 8 or 10 more....

The Collins Cree neck (Saddle is on the back). Yeah, I'm a Charlie Collins fan....

Can you show a photo of some dries you've tied with Charlie's hackles?

While I love the pelts, and the flies fish just fine, aesthetically, they never look quite how I expect them to...something about the fibers being less dense or thinner or something than the Whiting saddles...and like I said, it's not that they're inferior, just a different look. Kind of like really old dry flies.

*drool drool* Those are all beautiful capes guys!! Those cree capes are primo. That platinum grade one is prob worth a pretty penny I imagine with all the hype on them.

I want to get a Collins cape for catskills, I hear they are kind of a special cape for them. I probably don't NEED one but I'm a collector.

I ended up with a bunch of these in a pile of materials I traded for several years ago. I guess this thread is a good place to ask; anyone heard of this company or know anything about them? I haven't had much luck finding info.

https://www.anglingtrade.com/2012/09/12/metz-feathers-purchases-shannon-hackles/

IMG_20160226_125413983_zpsfrnknrin.jpg

So my wife surprised me with this early birthday present in the mail today!! I was watching this on my ebay and it sold, i was super bummed than suprise it shows up 2 weeks later lol! Going to have to say she's a keeper for sure. Probably the nicest jungle fowl I've ever seen. I'm scared to use it hahahaha. I've been wanting to tie salmon flies for a long time now so this puts me in for the plunge. She said I have to make her a pair of earrings with 2 of the nail feathers though lol! I've never made earings but it can't be too hard compared to some hopper amd streamer patterns out there lol.

NICE present, Trevinski ... and I agree, she's a keeper.

DON'T tie on an "earring". Tie on a hook shank, cut off the bend and point and then attach the finished pattern to a proper earring hook of her favorite type. There are many different earring types: studs, loops, hooks, hooks with clasps, etc. You'll get a much better finished product that way.

IMG_20160226_125413983_zpsfrnknrin.jpg

So my wife surprised me with this early birthday present in the mail today!! I was watching this on my ebay and it sold, i was super bummed than suprise it shows up 2 weeks later lol! Going to have to say she's a keeper for sure. Probably the nicest jungle fowl I've ever seen. I'm scared to use it hahahaha. I've been wanting to tie salmon flies for a long time now so this puts me in for the plunge. She said I have to make her a pair of earrings with 2 of the nail feathers though lol! I've never made earings but it can't be too hard compared to some hopper amd streamer patterns out there lol.

Beautiful. I still don't own one of those, though I have the Keeper wife ( 42 years so far).

In John Athertons only book, The Fly and the Fish, he tied a dry fly that he called a Tups Variant. He wrote : The hackle used for both tail and hackle of this fly as I tie it is a pale dun of a brassy shade with faint markings of grizzly. It is a very unusual color and seldom encountered.

Here's what I believe is the hackle color that he wrote about. I used the pack of brassy dun hackle from the 1940's on the right as a color control for the brown color part of the cape. It's more involved than that, but It's probably not that interesting to read about, so here's a pic of it below.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-88637200-1456522377_thumb.jpg

Trevinski,

Nice wife, Nice Cape - excellent color and dosen't appear to have many split nails

So, all this talk of capes and saddles and the other thread of clousers and wooley buggers ... I just couldn't resist any more.

So, $23.00 on eBay ... and hopefully a week from now, I'll have this ...

I hope it's this pretty when I get it.

Nice Mike! That's a good price. I definately see some great eBay deals. Luckily I don't use it much since our local fly shop usually gets in whatever I need and are pretty good on prices. Sometimes I just can't pass up a nice rooster saddle online though lol.