Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaptLou

Feathers for saltwater flies

I too use strung hackle, but both neck & saddle. Depends on what type of profile & action I want out of them. Neck hackle are usually wider, while saddle hackle has more motion. Also, I'll tie some Deceivers with splayed out tails & others with them tied flat.

If you have a fly shop near enough to shop, open the packages and inspect the hackles. I've seen some that looked good from the outside but when pulled out were appalling in quality. No one has ever questioned me inspecting them either. I've bought a lot on ebay and it's a crap shoot but for the savings I can afford to dump a few and come ahead since the closest fly shop to me is 45 minute away and the other is an hour in the opposite direction. For the time and gas I can toss a bunch and still feel okay.

I too use strung hackle, but both neck & saddle. Depends on what type of profile & action I want out of them. Neck hackle are usually wider, while saddle hackle has more motion. Also, I'll tie some Deceivers with splayed out tails & others with them tied flat.

I do all of the above as well

I am not sure if it's a "great" deal ... but I just got this on eBay for $23.00.

There were four pieces for less than 10 bucks on there, too.

Just search for "fly tying feathers" and you'll get all KINDS of options.

Mike, IMO that's a good deal, but of course depends on what type of flies you intend tying with it. I've bought similar from Ebay sellers & am willing to pay up to about $35 for some of those capes, particularly if they're Whiting or Metz & grizzly (natural or dyed) or cree colored. Other growers/brands I tend to limit it to no more than $25. Anytime I can get them for less, that's a great deal for my uses. Same with saddles. I'm more picky about saddles however, as some of them don't have a lot of feathers so I feel I'm better off buying strung hackle.

For the bass & salt type flies I tie, that type hackle is good. Some will have hackle suitable for dry flies too, if I was inclined to tie them. If a tyer intends to tie a lot of dry flies, then IMO it's best to spend the extra money & get a "better" grade of hackle, which can be as high as $100 if you're willing to pay it.

Since I tie mostly larger flies, the strung hackle is what I buy most. Buying those capes will give a good range of hackle sizes when you need them. All boils down to whether or not they fit your needs & if you're happy with the price. Never hurts to shop around. smile.png

For saltwater flies (which this thread is about) I figured the feathers are going to be used whole, length-wise, for streamer lateral lines and shrimp legs and feelers, etc.

I don't know, yet, what I'll be using these for ... but I just posted it here for people looking for less expensive feathers, to show eBay is the way to go.

Mike, I'm agreeing with you. I like the smaller, thin feathers for sides/cheeks on bendbacks or "flats" style flies just as you're describing, and the larger one's for tails on Deceivers & such. Just pointing out that if a person is buying a similar cape with the idea of also tying dry flies, it's not likely to be the best deal for them. Not often a "one size fits all" proposition when buying capes or saddles, even though sometimes there will be "dry fly" type of hackle on a cape like that.

Ebay's a good source, I agree with you there too, but not everything there is as it's labelled. There's always listings for "dry fly" hackle, but based on the pics posted there, probably isn't very good for that use. Like Saltybum said, it can be a crap shoot, but even poor dry fly hackle can be good for salt flies. rolleyes.gif

There are some very good deals to be had on Ebay, that's for certain as long as a tyer knows what it is that's being purchased. I don't always know exactly what I'll be tying either when I purchase hackle, but always have a good idea if it will fit my various needs. I'm sure you do also, as do most folks here who have been tying salt flies awhile. For anyone tying salt or bass flies, there's always good hackle listed on Ebay.

I'm just attempting to add some educational info here for anyone just getting started in tying salt or similar type flies. smile.png

We're cool, Tide. I wasn't arguing with you, either.

I've never tied a Wooley Bugger because I've never had hackle. That's what I am going to use some of these for, to tie that supposedly miraculous fly.

Mike, you got a good deal. First, the cape is an extended version, with some saddle hackles. Second, the color pattern is a bit unusual, as it is a light version of grizzly. I prefer that, as it is more baitfishy looking. The following flies are made from a similar saddle which I paid a lot of money for. I call the feather Ermine, like the little weasel. It is mostly white, with small black markings.

post-55273-0-24716400-1459343218_thumb.jpeg