Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Road Food

And there's another dieting tip. When you're hungry, ask flytire to show you some pictures of food ... appetite lost.

I dehydrate more than get hungry when wading and fishing, so gatorade goes in my vests back pouch. I take BP meds and diuretics So I'm probably not going to be far from the car for more than a couple of hours at a time, working my way back within 4 hours for sure. In the car is a cooler with snacks , water, a can or two of ginger ale, often even lunch stuff. Going off in the boat or canoe a smaller sized cooler goes with us,it has ice , water, a tupperware container with homemade tuna salad, another container or baggy with lettuce. We have dry storage for bread and granola and stuff. I almost always have gatorade on the boat ( 16-1/2 ft fish and ski) with compartments for storage, bow rider area, deck windshield etc. So on the boat we plan on a good day with lunch, snacks etc. Sometimes a grand kid or two LOL ! Probably a mid day swim. Beach the boat for lunch or maybe not..

Then we have sit in kayaks too and they have storage, so drinks and food are no problem, in fact we often do an afternoon kayak trip and plan on lunch etc.

Deer jalapeño summer sausage, crackers, maybe a kind or cliff bar and sunflower seeds. Water and maybe an IPA or saison.

I used to bring sunflower seeds until I saw perch eating the shells. Let's see some sunflower seed shell patterns.

I am pretty sure you're joking, Jack ... because that's the kind of humor I expect from you.

However, I've had goat's eyes ... but they were cooked. The gel inside the eye looks just like cooked egg white ... taste more like fish eggs. It's not something I would seek out, but they aren't bad.

Since I don't like anything "pickled" ... so I'll pass on your selection.

Good ham and swiss cheese with brown mustard on a good rye bread, tangerines, dried fruit, Coca cola and water. Other times, some good sharp provolone, soprasseta and a piece of good crusty bread.

I fish the western North Carolina trout streams mostly. In Saluda, NC there is the Green River BBQ. (http://greenriverbbq.com/) Some of the best BBQ sliced pork and slice beef brisket. I eat sitting on the tailgate of the pickup truck and share food with my two Brittanys.

i know but people eat that crap

I used to eat a lot of that stuff. Now I look at the pictures and feel my arteries clogging.

I can't do the all day stuff like I used to on a boat or a stream. I'm not picky so if I do a guide float I'm fine with whatever meal they provide.

I don't think I've eaten any kind of an eyeball but in spring when calf trimming season is on the deep fryer gets going for the OK version of Rocky Mountain Oysters. I even have a t-shirt from my first trip to Cornucopia WI for the Father's Day Testicle Festival. Of course it reads "I had a Ball at the TF" with a big bull grimacing on his back feet with his legs crossed. Yes, yes, real on both parts.

Well this discussion went in a couple of directions I didn't quite expect--I like that. :)

No eyeballs for me, thanks. Makes me think of that scene in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" where Indy and Short Round sit down to the big feast in Pankot Palace (can't believe I remembered that name) and the first course is a rich red broth that looks delicious...until a bunch of eyeballs float to the surface. As I recall, that meal also featured giant beetles, and a huge python stuffed with live eels. Blech. Despite what my dad always told me, I maintain that there are some things you don't need to try to know if you're going to like them.

I usually don't bring food but if I do it's usually just a can of vienna sausages. I have learned not to put them in the cooler though, unless you like them sitting in a oozy gelatinous substance.