Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Preparing and selecting hackle feathers for streamers

Eric montada ties a nice Matuka and so does the guy from Hammercreek......almost as nice as mine LMAO

Almost... ;) HAHA

Personally, I find technique videos pointless. Presentation would be much more powerful if involving an actually pattern.

As I said in the description, this will be part of an actual demonstration. smile.png The fly is very involved. and will take a while to tie on camera. I want to keep my fly videos under 6 minutes. So in order to do that, I have to make a few of these simple technique video's and link to them from the video. This will allow people to watch a short video if they already know the technique, or a few extra short clips on how to do the technique. This way I don't make a 10+ minute tying video. Make sense? I thought I described that already...

Sure you did, and I'm disagreeing with the merits of your approach. Nothing wrong with the presentation, just seems like you are spending a lot of time on something that you should be able to cover much more quickly while presenting an actual pattern, thus adding greater weight to your overall lesson. If folks have to watch a 6 minute video and 4 minutes of technique side videos, they still have to watch 10 minutes of video. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the final product looks like, but this approach sounds quite unwieldy as well as production heavy. Would not take a bit of constructive criticism personally. There are some very useful technique videos out there, but the best involve much lengthier topics worthy of the extra time. Of course as with all such matters, YMMV.

Personally, I find technique videos pointless. Presentation would be much more powerful if involving an actually pattern.

As I said in the description, this will be part of an actual demonstration. smile.png The fly is very involved. and will take a while to tie on camera. I want to keep my fly videos under 6 minutes. So in order to do that, I have to make a few of these simple technique video's and link to them from the video. This will allow people to watch a short video if they already know the technique, or a few extra short clips on how to do the technique. This way I don't make a 10+ minute tying video. Make sense? I thought I described that already...

Sure you did, and I'm disagreeing with the merits of your approach. Nothing wrong with the presentation, just seems like you are spending a lot of time on something that you should be able to cover much more quickly while presenting an actual pattern, thus adding greater weight to your overall lesson. If folks have to watch a 6 minute video and 4 minutes of technique side videos, they still have to watch 10 minutes of video. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the final product looks like, but this approach sounds quite unwieldy as well as production heavy. Would not take a bit of constructive criticism personally. There are some very useful technique videos out there, but the best involve much lengthier topics worthy of the extra time. Of course as with all such matters, YMMV.
Well it's a new way I'm testing out. I might not continue this process after a few if it doesnt work out.

I like constructive critisism and appreciate your concern and comments. However I did this on my last video and got a huge boost in views, so it seems to be helping. Apparently some people like it. But maybe not, only time will tell what the masses think. It could just be that that last video was better than most and not about the multiple video links? I'm not sure. I get what you mean about the video being 10 minutes anyway... its a concern of mine as well. We will see in time. Thank you for your help.

When I first started I was not interested in technique videos; only pattern specific videos. I'm still a newbie two years later but technique tips are more meaningful. If you look at the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference, it's all technique. There are no fly patterns.

In the Riffle produces some videos just on technique;

When I first started I was not interested in technique videos; only pattern specific videos. I'm still a newbie two years later but technique tips are more meaningful. If you look at the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference, it's all technique. There are no fly patterns.

In the Riffle produces some videos just on technique;

Yeah, I am not all 100% sure what is best to do. Its all a work in progress. Thanks for the help and comments. I tried one technique video, and that video itself got more than my pattern videos. So apparently people like them. I am glad you like them. I think there is a place for them. But only time will tell 100%. It does seam however that its doing pretty well.