Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
marcelotero19

Mattia from Galway

Hi lads,

I'm Mattia, an Italian guy living in Galway, Ireland.

New to fly tying, I'll bother you with a few questions :)

Congrats for the forum which is great!

tight lines

Mattia

Welcome to the site, Mattia.

It is a good site, and you'll get LOTS of answers to any questions you ask. The more general the question, the more opinions you'll get. Although sometimes confusing ... it's usually fun to see how differently people approach the same issue.

Welcome Matt... what Mike said... ask a question and you'll get a jillion answers, mostly in disagreement. Folks here tie flies for all kinds of reasons... some to fish with, some commercially to sell, some just because they like to create things. It'll be up to you to choose which reply you think is most appropriate for you. It'll help if you'll fill out your profile, letting people know generally where you are, what kinds of fish you're after, etc.

P.S. I know you said you're from Galway, but down the road when you post a question, there'll be no way for us to know that except your profile.

P.S. I know you said you're from Galway, but down the road when you post a question, there'll be no way for us to know that except your profile.

I'll do it right now

Regarding the number of answer, I'm used to this, the more I read the more I'm confused :)

Suggest you go to some of the recent threads about "what kind of vise should I get" or "What's the best reel"..etc. You'll see those threads go on forever, and everyone has their own favorite. The thing you need to look for is not just "I like this one best" but why they think it's best. If I answer a question like that, I try to explain my reasons. That way you can decide if my choice and reasons fit your needs. For example, I fish almost exclusively for panfish (small centrarchids.... you don't have those in Europe I believe), but my choices about rods, reels, flies, etc. are based on what I use them for. You fish for Salmon, so clearly my choices won't fit your needs. Don't let guys push you into getting something.... make your own choices.

And good luck. You'll find lots of info on this forum about trout and salmon fishing and flies for them.