Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Pike leader materials

What does everyone use for the mono/fluoro portion of their pike leaders? Many people say they like to use a stiff fluoro for the butt section of their leader to help the flies to turn over. When I am searching around for heavier fluoro, I am having a hard time finding one that is listed as stiff as opposed to flexible. If someone could post a link to something they use it would be much appreciated.

I stopped using any sort of mono for my pike leaders a number of years ago. Now I simply use a short 15"-20" section of Tyger wire right off of the sink tip loop.

I'm thinking of using clips or snaps and 10 or 20lb AFW Surflon micro wire for our big 30" + pickerel we have here in the spring. But you can get that in 30lb too or more even.

Since I have an extraordinarily long pike ...

... I don't use any kind of leader.

Oh, you meant for the FISH!

I use 4'-5' of Seaguar Red Label 100% Fluorocarbon in 30 LB and have no problems turning over up to a 12" pike fly. I have a small Perfection Loop to connect to the fly line and a 2 1/2" Perfection Loop to connect to my wire trace. The larger loop is to be able to pass the tube flies through that loop when changing flies.

I use 4'-5' of Seaguar Red Label 100% Fluorocarbon in 30 LB and have no problems turning over up to a 12" pike fly. I have a small Perfection Loop to connect to the fly line and a 2 1/2" Perfection Loop to connect to my wire trace. The larger loop is to be able to pass the tube flies through that loop when changing flies.

The key to your system is the tube fly I bet ?

http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/saltwater/fluoroflex-saltwater-tippet/

I also have an older spool of Rio Fluoroflex Tippet, 0.025" diameter, 52 #.

It's advertised as being medium stiff and I see now that it's not shown anywhere on Rio's site.

At 0.025" diameter, I've found the fluoro doesn't hide itself that well and at $24 per spool,

I now just use some Maxima Chameleon 40# for my first section adjacent the fly line.

The key to your system is the tube fly I bet ?

I absolutely love tying big pike flies on tubes. I would say that 80% of my pike flies are on tubes with the others being articulated using shanks and hooks.

This is what I use for the but section. I then move on to regular mono or fluorocarbon.

http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/saltwater/fluoroflex-saltwater-tippet/

I also have an older spool of Rio Fluoroflex Tippet, 0.025" diameter, 52 #.

It's advertised as being medium stiff and I see now that it's not shown anywhere on Rio's site.

At 0.025" diameter, I've found the fluoro doesn't hide itself that well and at $24 per spool,

I now just use some Maxima Chameleon 40# for my first section adjacent the fly line.

For my musky leaders I use 18" of 60# flouro, a 6" break section of 20# chameleon mono, and then a 18" section of knot2kinky wire in 25-40#

I have been using a reverse tapered leader of 50lb mono (4-5 ft) to 80lb flouro (2 ft) with a cross locking snap on the end, and I haven't had any issues. You'll want to check the line near the snap after each fish.

However, while I haven't had any issues with the set up, I've heard of many others that have, so, I will not be swapping out the flouro for a knot-able bite wire. I will still use a cross locking snap.

Titanium single strand for me knotted to seaguar ACE in 23lb or larger. Stiff to give a good turnover and low stretch to help set the hook strip striking.

I use 20 lb maxima in the butt with 30 lb Mason nylon coated steel connected with an Albright knot. I have been using a figure 8 knot to connect the fly. I might start using a snap just for convenience.

The reason I use 20lb maxima is so I have a weak point to break off if I hook up with a log or rock.