Fly Tying
troutguy

Cherokee, NC Trophy Water

I have not fished there yet but am planning on going down March 26th. I've heard mixed reviews from people that have.

I have summons for jury duty on March 26, not that I was going to NC anyway, just sayin !

Yep - stop in at Rivers Edge Outfitters to get the latest on what's happening.

There are a lot big fish in there - try to avoid weekends, it gets crowded if the weather is fair.

What were you wanting to find out? I've fished there a number of times, over the last decade, but it isn't one of my favorite places to fish. I prefer the Tuckasegee R. near Sylva or the Nantahala R. in Macon Co., a bit further west off US-74. There are a number of fly shops and guide services that cater to all the area streams.

Probably going this Monday. Anyone have experience this time of the year. DavidR I looked at the website for them, looks like a nice fly shop.

JD1983 I will let you know

I fished there before it was trophy water. Nowadays, from a tourist report last week, I understand it was getting hammered. It also gets heavily stocked.

The trophy waters in Cherokee have been fishing good as of late. The nicest days outside usually see the most pressure. It's best fished by picking a crappy weather day (good fishing conditions lol!) and you can have the place to yourself. Sunny warm days and you'll have people out there. It doesn't get the pressure the Nantahala gets or the Davidson but it does get a fair share. Right now I've seen good hatches of little winter stones #16-18, and small black caddis #16-20 mid morning until late afternoon. Also seen some BWO's in #18 mid morning when its overcast. Midges of course are the way to go, most folks don't fish them and they're killer. Fish em deep and methodical.

I follow these guides on Facebook, they're always up there when I go, and their clients stay hooked up. Maybe they can point you in the right direction

https://www.facebook.com/FlyFishingtheSmokies/

I fished there last weekend. Water was way high and clear. 2 friends and I caught around 30 all told lots of 14-16". Almost all on a girdle bug or egg. Saw some pushing 2 feet busting minnows, very cool.I'll be posting a report tonight. Make sure you go to rivers edge and get a permit.

I fished there last weekend. Water was way high and clear. 2 friends and I caught around 30 all told lots of 14-16". Almost all on a girdle bug or egg. Saw some pushing 2 feet busting minnows, very cool.I'll be posting a report tonight. Make sure you go to rivers edge and get a permit.

Guess I would have had to throw a minnow pattern or two while there !

Guess I would have had to throw a minnow pattern or two while there !

Dont spend too long on streamers unless you are catching alot. Mops, stones and junk tend to produce the most

Trout guy - How often are you out fishing that direction. I am about 1 hour north of Asheville and 2 hours from Cherokee. We should get together and fish some time.

jd1983 I would like that. I am going to South Mountain tomorrow and Cherokee on Tuesday. I have a friend from NY/MS here, but next time I will holler. maybe PHG can join us too.