Fly Tying
vicrider

March monthly swap

Sorry if I've been kind of lax in posting for the monthly. That's what happens when you have a few who are prompt on getting there flies and then we're into March and I only have a half dozen of February flies in. A couple of people have contacted me and we're going to have some of this month's in next month or something like that. So anyway, I'll have to doublecheck just who is in this swap for sure and post the names for this month. L'il Dave filled in last month and his flies made if from down under a week ago.

March is a dry fly month but since classical dry flies were most often tied on 10 and 12 hooks this swap will be any known tie on a hook no smaller than a 16. We'll save the little stuff for a later month's swap. These flies can be classic Catskill style or a Western Stonefly as long as you follow a recipe as close as you can. Substitute materials as needed but keep them similar to original recipe.

vicrider..............................ready

01. add147........................received

02. ..............

03. Breambuster................received

04. Stabgnid.......................received

05. Pica..............................received

06. Fishin' Bob...................received

07. djtrout...........................received

08. PJ2...............................received

09. Joseph Russell.............received

10. Western Trout Hunter...

11. sammothner.................received

12.EastTNoutdoorsman.....

Im In, and they are on the way. I've included them in the LATE February flies. And there some extras in there for you as well.

I'm in.. I tied a Griffins Nat.. This is my very first Dry fly so I went easy ..

Steve-stabgnid

I thought we were automatically in? This just rolls over every month.

You are Joseph but right now I have 8 packages from February in the box. And now I'm typing the March call out on the 5th. I'd like to be able to send the flies out the first of every month when I can. Then I'll get a PM asking "Where's the flies?" "Everybody in?". I really enjoy swapping and I really enjoy swapmeistering but deadlines are just so easily overlooked. LISTEN UP...I never have a problem with someone getting hold of me privately or on board if work, health, or any other problems arise but I just sit and wait with no idea of what's going on it can be upsetting. Occasionally, and not long ago, we have someone disappear and it's two months later you finally have to drop them. I sincerely hope they're not dealing with serious problems and my swap woes are minor but ...

From the January list of swaps, March was "...........A dry fly...anything from Catskill to Western Stone...No hooks smaller than a #16 on this one". Are you now saying ONLY Catskill or Stone Flies? I have a set tied, but they are neither of those.

No Bob, nothing coming from your vise wouldn't be welcome. What I was trying to indicate was there are a lot of flies out there with bigger hooks. I didn't say so but I'd feel fine getting a nice grasshopper or Muddler. The thing is, and I'm guilty at times, we think we have to tie on 20s and 24s today. The fish ate sizes from 14-8 off the surface years ago and later in swap we'll dig out those tiny hooks.

At almost 71, I'm lucky to be able to see and tie on an 18, let alone tie on a 24! Those days have passed me by I'm afraid. I fish a lot of dry flies with white on them so I, at least, have a chance to be able to see them on the water.

C'mon Bob. I'm 72 and before I went to bed last night I put 15 1.5mm tungsten beadheads and 15 #24 down eye hooks in prep for the other swap just started. Not long ago I did some 26's with wings just to send to a guy who wanted a couple. 'Course, when I do the tie itself I use a big glass. Reading glasses just doesn't cut it anymore, and if I'm actually going to use 24's in the field it's only because the guide puts them on, not me.

Nick, I'm glad you have such good eyes, unfortunately mine are not so good. I have had eye problems all my life and am glad I can still tie. I do have some Rx tying glasses my Optomitrist had made for me which help a lot.

PJ2, looking at your nymphs. What size hook and bead is that. I just started working on some beadheads for a different swap and last night I put 15 - 1.5mm tungsten beads on size 24 hooks. Today when I make it back in there I need to magnet the floor area good and try to find some hooks and beads. One good thing about the tungsten beads is they will react to a strong magnet so they are sometimes recoverable, unlike brass.