Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AKtrap

Greetings from Alaska

Hello There!

Greetings from the shores of Lake Clark, AK. There are, well, a few fish around here.... smile.png I've been fishing a long time, but have been fly tying a little less than a year, so I'm still quite new to this side of things. I guess the short of it is that I finally realized it would be sooo much cheaper to tie my own, (though addictions like fly tying are never cheap) as there aren't many fly shops in remote Alaska. Looking forward to learning what I can, and sharing what I can somewhere along the line...I've already seen so many helpful posts I had to quit being a lurker and jump in.

Branden

Welcome to the site, AKtrap.

The popular belief is that you will not save money buy tying your own flies. I am one of those who actually DOES save money. If you are going to tie the flies you fish with, and ONLY the flies you fish with, then yes, you can save money after a while. In my years of tying ... I am up to $300.00 or so in tying tools and materials. At an average of $3.00 a fly, that's 100 flies give or take.

I know I've lost or destroyed well over 100 flies.

So, at this point, I am saving money over buying flies.

If you go down the path of tying more and more patterns, and needing the materials to keep that up, then you'll probably never break even and no, you won't save money tying flies ... but then it no longer matters, because tying becomes a hobby of it's own.

Either way ... welcome aboard, keep active and show us how your tying progresses and the fish you're catching ... please.

Thanks, Mike!

What you're saying makes sense to me. For now, I am only obsessed with tying the ones I do, or plan to, fish with soon. Guess I'll have to see if that stays true.

and, for what it's worth... I'm with you...barbed hooks do rule...