Fly Tying

Few poppers

You got to love Ontario. On the lake I go to the slot for walleye is 14 inches and 16 and 7/8 inches with a 4 fish limit to take home.

The general thought is if it's close throw the fish back. And if you have 3 fish on the board at the lodge to take home you better not have two in the live well if you get checked, or all those bad things will happen to you. Around here we have what we call the "bucket brigade" whatever they catch goes into the bucket. There is a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth if the fish warden happens by.

Nice poppers! My complements on them. I have fished poppers with rubber legs for bluegill but clipped off the legs as the fish would grab the leg and pull it under. bigger bluegill will smack the whole popper before a little one gets it. Thanks for sharing.

Good to know the local laws. Here in Tennessee, different places and species of fish have different regulations. I carry a regulation booklet whether hunting or fishing so I can review them before hitting the woods or water.

I have noticed The 'gills' around here, especially the larger ones, will seat the bait (poppers) with their tails knocking it underwater. If you pull the line right after the splash you will often miss them.

I have begun to just tighten the line and feel for the fish.....if he's there, give a little jerk and have some fun! If nothing is there, leave it for a few seconds before recasting.

10 fish limit, bass that is and no slot in that lake. Most have at least one over 18", state limit is 10. One lake has 15 they have a stunted fish problem. Spent most of my life catch/release on bass now they tell us to keep all bass below the slot in most lakes, State lakes and flood control lakes, the latter no slots, 10. So I'm eating bass lately...

The stunted fish problem in lakes is the result of people taking too many of the predators (e.g., bass) out of the lake.

Just wondering ...

I've got NO problem with taking a fish home ... and I have fished lakes/ponds where the rule was, "You catch it, you keep it ... no matter the size."

Good looking stuff. How effective is the mono weedguard. I tied a one in a frog popper I made, but I the frog was way too bulky and way too much wind resistance. Thinking of trying more weedguards.

Bottoms are medium w/ 20# mono. The orange ones are 25#. Also lil care to tie them in first along side the shank then when anchoring make few wraps at the eye and tune'em for flair and length to be effective. Then glue at eye to guarantee the spread stays. Practice has determined mine. You want to work right make em right. Like anything else. And you ain't gonna buy any that some Indian(dot not feathers) goes to the trouble either. Main reason I tie is to get what I want and you learn what works! Flies maybe art to some but to me are "consumables"...by the fish! And right stay sparse as possible with your stuff casting is another very important, hook catch ability,gap, another, action good effective poppin action in this case also. All this trumps realism...a bug that acts like a frog is better than a real looking one that has poor action, cast ability, etc.

Oops got carried away. The place I fish has button willows in standing waters and floating weeds and I got tired of hanging up in the green branches and avoiding the openings in the mats. So I beefed the double guards so I can thro up in them and work thru the floating stuff with only very seldom hang up, nuttins 100%. Lot more pleasurable to concentrate on da bucket mouths!!! Always a trip to pull bug off a limb and one jumps outa the water and smacks the bug going back in! Another thing is hesitate a lil on the strike you'll hook up more offten. Real heavey mono weed guards can effect this. I say it's function of hook size and how bad the cover is cuz ideally don't want a guard at all!