Fly Tying

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with hook sizes for extra pulling power .....if you have ever had a large..... say nine pound trout on a 5wt rod caught on a size 18 fly ...you have to use different tactics ....not skull drag the fish out of the water.

I have fished saltwater with not so small flies.... probably sizes #10 up to a size 1/0 but I give the fish a little quarter then take some back ....it's called sport fishing.

I would use my trout sized fry imitations for both salt and fresh because I tie them on a stainless hook.....and most fry are quite small in general.

Just my 2cents worth.

To each his own... I prefer not to have to play the fish that crazily. Its like trying to catch marlin on 2lb tippet. Just not the best option. I probably won't be fishing a size 18 hook for 10-20lb redfish any time soon. But maybe I am just not as good of a fisherman... HAHA I just prefer not to have to add that type of difficulty. But man, good for you being able to land large saltwater fish on a tiny teeny hook. I just prefer not too...

I use one of my regular tying bobbins, brand has been long forgotten. I thing I measured the spool and it's about 1 1/4 inches long. I actually had to tighten my bobbin because the spool was a bit loose.

I'm tying them like small surf candies. They're tied with Senyo Laser Dubbing.

Sweet! Yeah, they are a bit more like small surf candies. I like it! Good fly man!

I once got a spool from a fabric shop like that, however the spool was a bit large. like 1/2 size larger than the regular danville, uni, exc... I will have to look around a bit more. Thanks for the info.

These were the flies I sent for the swap for little minnows. A Royal Coachman on a size 10 with modern tag and beard, calf hair, and a mini Cypret Minnow on a size 16. I don't have proof yet but really believe the Cypret Minnow with kill the big 'gills for at least a few weeks after they spawn. They are seriously cannibalistic and this should fit their little mouths just right. Okay, don't know how the lock got in there but now I can't delete it. pics below that.

lock_zpscbfc4a06.jpg

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01440.JPG

Here's a picture of the bobbin I use with the large spool. The one next to it has a standard size tying thread spool in it.

post-309-0-28898500-1459549485_thumb.jpg

I fish both fresh and salt, it has been my standard to use a 1/0 or 2/0 for salt ( mostly 1/0) I have seen guys use up to a 4/0 for various salt fish, the biggest hook I've used for fresh has been a 8. I havent found a need to go any larger.

I fish both fresh and salt, it has been my standard to use a 1/0 or 2/0 for salt ( mostly 1/0) I have seen guys use up to a 4/0 for various salt fish, the biggest hook I've used for fresh has been a 8. I havent found a need to go any larger.

Yeah I regularly use 1/0 for saltwater and black bass fishing. I think you are correct, the need to go larger really isn't there. A 1/0 will hold very large fish quite well. Maybe bill fishing or the 100lb tuna range you might want to go larger, just so the hook doesn't bend, but yeah. I agree, 1/0 is pretty much the largest for salt in most cases.

As for freshwater, a size 8 is large enough when fishing trout and most fresh water fish. However if you ever go pike, or large mouth bass fishing, a larger hook can help. They both have very large mouths and regularly entail the bait. Those professional bass fisherman (conventional) use like 4/0 sized hooks for bass in most cases. In fly fishing that is overkill, however a larger hook is probably a good idea for those fish. I just figure, if the fish can swallow the hook, use the largest size possible that still allows your bait to swim how you want it. Thats my theory, doesn't mean I'm correct.

Here's a picture of the bobbin I use with the large spool. The one next to it has a standard size tying thread spool in it.

attachicon.gifP4010298_edited-1.jpg

Thats pretty sweet! where do you get that larger size bobbin holder?