Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Clearly

Fly fishing Tennessee in May

I will be in the Sevierville area of Tennessee around the end of May this year for a weeks vacation and if anyone has any advice on wadeable waters, flies, guides or any other resources I would greatly appriecieate any help.

Second on LRO. Byron Bagley runs a good outfit there in Townsend. It's only about 30 min from Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, but Townsend is a totally different world.

(Even though I keep a TN fishing license, and I've stayed in Townsend several times, I've never fished any of the streams in the area.)

While you're in Townsend, be sure to visit Cade's Cove. Marvelous place!

OK, here goes. Go from Townsend into the national park. You will come to what is referred to as the "Y." Turn right and go about 100 yards and turn left. This is the Middle Prong of the Little River; locals call it Tremont after the nature center there. Start anywhere. upon recommendation, I fished it for the first time 17 years ago. I had a grand slam- 5 rainbows, 4 browns, 2 brookies. If you don't mind hiking a bit, fish Sam's Creek. Go to the end of the and hike up the trail along the creek. I helped guide for a youth trout camp several years ago. Ahem.......my sidekick caught the only limit. biggrin.png One boy did catch and release a 9 inch brookie which is big for the park. All fish were released, BTW. You will experience a bit of history in the park. The brook trout are the Appalachian strain of brook trout, different than the ones caught in the Northeast and Canada. They are unique to the SE US.

Little River Outfitters is a great bunch of folks. Get on their website and call them to get started. Note: All fish in the park are wild trout. The park hasn't been stocked since the mid 70s.

We will be looking for pictures.

Wanted to add something since you will be coming in from a different direction. From Sevierville, you can to into Gatlinburg but prepare for crowds on the weekends. Bypass it. Or, you could go from Sevierville on US 441 toward G'burg and take US 321 toward Townsend. This will take you to the "Y" I had mentioned. Keep straight past the "Y" and turn left onto the Tremont road.

If you turn right to Townsend, LIttle River Outfitters is on the right next to a strip mall and large grocery store (good place to stock up on snacks and drinks). It's a large log building- can't miss it.

We expect pictures of the adventure.

Also while You're in Sevierville, there's a great reservoir there.... Douglas Lake. It appears to have several headwater sources.. the main source is Nolichucky River at the east end of the lake. Some day I'm gonna put my canoe in Douglas Lake and go after some panfish.

You can also check out Ian Rutter at randrflyfishing.com He also wrote a very useful book "Great Smoky Mountains National Park, ANGLERS COMPANION". Loaded with maps of the prongs in all areas.

Ian's also a very good guide to learn how to trick those little mountain trout. He taught me a lot.

Ian is a great guy and his book is most informative. There is another book on fishing the Smokies by Don Kirk. Personally, I have never felt the need for a guide in the Smokies. I have fished the park for over 20 years and have always caught fish. Basic flies as elk hair caddis, pheasant tail, Adams, or hare's ear are about all you need. Ian's and Don's books have hatch charts and recommended flies. I like to keep it basic. Little River Outfitters would be a good place to start. They also have a forum that you could scan for information. If I recall, they included shipping in their orders to make it simple for buyers. Read the water and plan where you are going to cast. I cleaned up during a hatch with an EHC behind the KOA campground several years ago. There was a dark Hendrickson hatch occuring in tow places. I used a #12 EHC. Lost count over a period of a week; well over 100 easily.

Good fishing.

Don't forget the Holston below Cherokee Dam and Clinch river tailwaters - by May both should be serving up some decent hatches and will offer a shot at bigger trout (or smallmouth on the lower holston) assuming the generation schedule is wadable.