Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onshore

Nauset Inlet

Well, I finally got down to Orleans to walk the Nauset Spit. Started about 10 AM in fog but before I got out from under Skunk Bluff, the sun was out and it was a beautiful day. I cut over to the ocean side before starting off to the north. The tide was nearly low and the first thing I noticed was that there was a really big gully with an outer bar at about Mile Post 10 where there had been none last year. As I proceeded down to the opening, I found similar at Mile Post 8 and 5.

As I neared came up to the opening, it was very apparent that the outer bar had migrated inward (west) and there was only about 1 foot of slow water between the beach and the big bar. The bar also extends much farther to the north.

Out at the opening, the tip is more pointed and the big hole on the inside has shrunken to about a third its' size last fall. Walking back to the south, the big mussel bed was unchanged but, as I approached the low dune area, the beach had a much steeper gradient to the west which will make for much deeper water if it stays that way. Several small mussel beds and points from here south are gone. The big mussel bed on the north end of Tern Island marsh is much reduced. The channel between the spit and Tern Island is pretty much filled in and there have been very apparent washovers between the dunes all the way to Skunk Bluff - I counted at least 20.

Unlike last week's walk to the new breach on South Beach in Chatham; there were a lot of birds on the spit. I noted flocks of Scooter, Goldeneye and Bufflehead. Some Greebs nearshore with Eiders and Blacks, Geese and Goldeneye inside the inlet.

There were chunks of blubber strewn the length of the spit; apparently from the whale that came ashore up to the north in December. Pieces ranged from a foot in diameter to one huge piece that was about 5' X 8' X 2'. They were furnishing plenty of fat for the Herring Gulls and Blackbacks. Judging from the tracks in the sand, the Skunks, Fox and Coyotes have been dining too.

As I passed the south tip of Tern Island a big Coyote came out of the dunes and troted up the beach toward SkunkBluff.

It's very hard to tell if the spit has moved overall but I sensed that it has migrated toward the west a bit compared to last fall. I'll carry my GPS from now on so I can keep a record of the change in position of the next year or more.

The most amazing think I saw today was after I left the Spit and drove around to Orleans Beach. The dunes at the end of the boardwalks have eroded at least 20' and about 50 feet out in fron of that is another shelf or drop of 4'-5'. In front of that is a deep gully before the outer bar.

The sure thing on these beaches is that they will change again, and again before the Stripers arrive this Spring....guaranteed !

The way Nauset, South Beach and the other outer beaches move around, I don't know why I've never thought to bring my GPS. Just put it in my pack and plan to do that from now on.

Bill

New bar and hole on Nauset Spit after blizzard of '05. Where this hole is today, is in the middle of a mile and one half stretch of gently curving beach. Picture taken three weeks ago, hole is deeper and bar is longer today... Shot from about a half mile south of the inlet.

post-21-1109545558.jpg

This was taken in front of the boardwalk that used to lead to Nauset from the Orleans Beach. Over 20' of sand was washed away by the Blizzard of '05. Shot is looking south toward Pochet Island.

post-21-1109545822.jpg

Shot from same spot as last picture. Where the 20' cliff is now on the left was a gently sloping boardwalk from Orleans Beach to the Nauset before the blizzard.

post-21-1109546005.jpg

Bill.. that is some considerable erosion... and we are not done yet..it will be interesting to see what this storm tonight will do to both the inlet, and South beach. Thanks for posting the pictures...

Finally made it back to Nauset Inlet. This morning. I walked from Priscilla Landing via Skunk Bluff to the spit and back with my GPS - 3.91 miles round-trip. The first new hole and bar that came about from the Blizzard is still there and looks really good. There is another good looking bar and trouth up near post 10.

The outer bar on the South side of the inlet has filled in so much that there is no longer any fast moving water near the beach where it has been the past two years. The bar was dry an hour before low tide and one could walk out about 1/5 mile to reach some good looking deep water.

The end of the spit is gone and the new end is south of the 3rd. Channel buoy.

Walking back on the inside, the pitch of the beach between high and low water is definitely greater than a year ago and the main channel is closer to the beach at both the 2nd. and 1st buoy. The first buoy is closer to Tern Island Marsh than it was by over 100 ft. There is still a pretty big Mussel bed there.

Lots of ducks flying and rafting both inside and outside. Buffleheads, Goldeneye and Red Brested Mergansers were in good numbers. Walking inside, by buoy 2, I disturbed two Turkey Vultures that were feeding on a piece of whale blubber. I've never seen one this early or out here before. When I got back, my Birds of Cape Cod book said they are common March to October. I say another hovering over the mid-cape by Exit 10 on the way home.