Fly Tying
Fishywood

In need or advice

here is my 2 recommendations for kits

dynaking

http://www.dyna-king.com/dtl_vises/?id=383&cat_id=4

flyfishfood

http://store.flyfishfood.com/Complete-Fly-Tying-Starter-Kit-p/fffkit3.htm

Is flyanglingonline the best place for recipes?

not really. the pattern database on this website is quite extensive and GOOGLE is even more better

How crucial is a bench or is a table more important?

a fly tying bench usually sits on top of a table so i would guess the table is a little more important

The Dyna king is your best choice! I have provided many of these over the years and they are great kits!

Due to the fact that you are asking a question on this site tells me you are already hooked and show an interest in fly fishing and tying and that's a good thing!

From my own personal experience, I became hooked back in the very early 1980's and like you, was in no man's land with where to start.

IMO, before you go out and spend your hard earned money on tools and materials, perhaps you might want to hook up with someone more local to you and take a few lessons or educational sessions to learn what tools and techniques you will require to get you where you wish to go. It's all about economics and what is affordable to suit your budget.

Yes there is lots of info out there, but nothing beats hands on experience from an experienced teacher. It will save you time, money and the frustrations of not knowing the basic techniques of tying. It will also give you some insight on what tools you need w/o buying a kit that gives you tools that you may never use.

I took those lessons and learned the basics. I honed my skills from there with experience.

I lake fish here in Ontario for Northern Pike and Bass due to a lack of rivers large enough in my immediate area to properly cast a fly, so I had to expand on those basic teachings and learn new methods so I could not only enjoy my sport, but also the environment of Georgian Bay, without the frustrations associated with fly fishing.

To me, there was nothing more rewarding than to catch a fish on a fly that I had created once I was taught the basics of tying.

Catching a fish with a fly you tied is fine and dandy, but once you start wrapping your own rods too, now THAT'S something cool smile.png

tightline productions makes some of the best high quality videos for tying fly patterns. google their name or find some on youtube. here's one for the American Pheasant Tail nymph:

https://youtu.be/oRMWxob305o?list=PLz42K_a_F18S8jpgZngdeOj-TDL-uyHLo

eric

fresno, ca.

I have a little pair of drug store Fiskar's scissors I think I paid $10 for more than 20 years ago now and they are still sharp.. I cut hackle with them, even oval tinsel etc. And often trim thread from the head with them, Damn good scissors you got Dave G!

Just to add my two cents worth, you have gotten plenty of advise on the tools and such. If you have a fly shop local to you and can swing it I highly recommend taking a tying class or two. Some shops will even offer a beginners tying class. Not only will a hands on class greatly shorten the initial learning curve, but the instructor should also go over how to select materials, what you are looking for in quality materials and how to use them. If you are unfortunate and do not have a local shop, you may be able to seek out a local fly tyer that would be willing to share information. There are also plenty of written articles and videos on the subjects. But face to face hands on is the way to go. Also be careful of trying to save to much money buying cut rate materials, if the quality is not there it will greatly hinder your ease of learning, By all means shop for the best bang for your buck, but use reputable dealers especially when just starting out.

I have been checking fly angler online for articles and such plus looking up other things on the interwebs.

How crucial is a bench or is a table more important?

Be sure to read the Fly Anglers Online -> Fly Tying -> Beginning Tying articles. A really good series of articles that will teach a complete beginner all of the basic fly tying skills in straightforward short lessons. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ These are the articles that Flytyer recommended above.

You don't need a special fly tying bench. Here's a simple DIY one:1060301123148202642.jpg

They are very nice to organize your tying area and can get very elaborate and expensive. You may want one later, and you'll know what you want after you've been tying for awhile.

You could start with a simple tool caddy. Here's what I've used for over 20 years:

72X5L5FC.jpg

You could easily make your own tool caddy by drilling holes in a block of wood.

Bruce.. that's a really nice workstation. I have something similar I made out of a wooden kitchen cutting board. I put some nylon stick-on feet on it so I could clamp my vise to it (simply turn the clamp upside down and slip the top part under the board). I also made a wooden tool caddy but not as nice as yours. How'd you make the square hole? A square bit?

One nice thing about this kind of workstation is that it's portable. I can bring it into the family room and sit it on a TV tray while I watch/listen to TV.