Fly Tying
Permitcapt

Mullet flies for Everglades

Heading to Everglades in two weeks for camping at Lostman's River, and intending to throw some mullet patterns at snooks and redfish. Here are some variations that have served me well in Apalachicola for redfish and seatrout. I reforge the worm-style bass hooks to make them foul-resistant. They track straight, don't snag on the bottom, and seldom snag vegetative matter. They also hook and hold well.

post-55273-0-94227300-1458683019_thumb.jpg

Just curious as to what worm hook you're using. The only one in my catalogs that has that type of bend and eye set up is a Mustad.

No. I tested it by rigging it to a boga grip, and the 3/0 hooks straightened at 24# and the 5/0 at 27#. I did nothing to the bend, only the front of the shank where a plastic worm would normally be attached. So, where I reforged it, it was still stronger than the bend, therefore no problem. The purpose of the bend I put in was to create a large enough space to tie materials on, and to have the hair and hackles sweep above the point, to provide some protection against snagging.

Perm... those are beauties... but can you tell me what those spotted shoulders are? I would have guessed the black with white spots might be guinea, but the white with black spots has me stumped.

Thank you for your kind words. Mearns quail provided the black with white spots, and the brown with black spots. The white with black spots is what I call ermine hackle, as a winter ermine has a white coat with a black tip on the end of it's tail. Tom Whiting calls it unique grizzly variant. It is 100X rarer than cree.

Nine of the hooks are Mustad Wide Bend Jig Hooks 91768BLN. The one odd hook is an Eagle Claw L700G Finesse Featherlite 3.5/0

Those are some great looking flies Permitcapt! wub.png

I have some Owner hooks that are shaped like your hooks. I posted a pic in this thread = http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82915&hl=bendback&page=2

They're discontinued, but should you find any of them, they would be a great hook for your style of flies IMO.

Also, in case you aren't already aware, VMC makes a worm hook with a longer front section that works well for tying purposes. The model # is 6319, plus they make the same hook in a 1X stronger version, 7319.

Looking at your patterns now has me wanting to copy some of them, since I have some hooks that I think will work just fine! biggrin.png

My versions...didn't use the middle worm hook looked like too much of hook opening would be lost. Yours on bottom most right looks like the biggest hook opening of them all....thanks

75526465-4CDA-41BD-BE9F-EFC103FD00B2_zps

Nice deer hair head. And interesting withe hook eyes/ jig hooks. Innovative shoulders too. I opted for the Kayle/bait hooks with the modified bend.

101F736E-86CC-4FE9-9872-425DA226F012_zps

There you go! Greatest place here for innovation and exchange of ideas...thanks permit guy!

Here's one from past discussion..... Great look and maybe if dressed sparse and eye ok would be good hook setter. Not tryin to be judgemental

Just tryin to get a handle on it...

63A135F0-EF77-4CB9-B94F-6E71A416D8BF_zps

With the hook riding up I'm anstsy to see one like that in the top of the mouths of some nice yellow mouths!

That's a nice fly. I find no problem on hooksets. There is soooo much space.

Hey Denduke, I use those EC 066 long shank hooks for making Crease flies. Even with the offset point it works well. I use the nickel version for freshwater & the stainless for salt.

BTW, awesome looking flies! wub.png

Very nice looking flies! For the glades, I would consider adding in some darker colored ones, like black/purple since the water can get pretty dark down there. I would also throw in some topwater, watching a snook rise from the dark water and crash the surface will keep you dreaming about that experience for years