Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ccahoon2

Wings

I would not use dryer sheets or any sheet material for dragon fly wings. I don't believe they can be used to dragonfly wings for the reason below:

Unlike damselflies, dragonflies hold thier wings SPREAD at rest and NOT FOLDED. So I don't know how a solid wing would work to imitate a dragonfly. They would act as wind foils and would cause the fly to spin and would be difficult to cast when spread.. You could tie them folded over the body like a hopper or salmon fly BUT that is not how they position their wings at rest.

The Borger pattern uses hackle to imitate the shape of the spread wing and is easy to cast.

"the wings of most dragonflies are held flat and away from the body"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly

"When they are resting, the wings are usually spread."

http://dragonflywebsite.com/dragonfly-facts.cfm

"Even though they are both members of the same order, they have slight differences whereby when resting, damselflies hold their wings together, a dragonfly holds its wings horizontally or slightly down and forward and their hindwings are broader near the base."

https://animalcorner.co.uk/animals/dragonfly/

You're right. Do you have the genus Tramea where you are? They have dark red/brown bands on their wings. at least the species we have here. They're way too big and stocky for most things but a LM Bass would go for them if they stayed in place long enough.

I don't know about you Silver ... but landing a fly on a reed top to mimic a healthy dragon fly is a bit beyond my abilities.

Dragon flies I've seen on the water are struggling, with broken wings and weak movements.

You might be right about wind resistance, but both the paper and dryer sheet wings I've made are quite flexible. They can fold back while casting and still spring back to position when it hits the water.

I did some dragon flies with foam thoraxes and Congo Hair wings. They got a few hits, but not enough for me to keep tying them. The ones I did with paper towels didn't do any differently. Hoppers and roaches are about all I do with wings now.

Dragonflies hover just above the water and dip their tails to release their eggs, just like damselflies and other species do. They're not there but just an instant but if a bass saw them coming, that's when he'd strike. Of course nobody I know can make a dragonfly imitation hover and dip its tail, so it's more likely that the imitation would look like a dead or dying one to the bass. That's what we'd be hoping for anyway.

Although I have lots of other serious patterns that I want to tie, so it's unlikely that I'll ever even bother with a dragonfly.

I have used feather tips and also large hackle. I have seen videos where a guy uses plastic sandwich baggies.... I think as long as it works for you and you catch fish who cares?