Fly Tying
Hatchet Jack

Snowshoe Hare's Feet?

if I was in the market for Snowshoe Hare's feet I would probably give ebay a serious look. The reason being that for an item like this you usually get to see the exact ones you are buying as well as view the seller's feedback. If you have a decent monitor then there won't be any surprises as to color, size or whether they are jackrabbit feet in disguise.

wish I would have kept all the ones I had in Maine and Alaska. I wish a lot of things..... lol

I have seen Snowshoe Rabbit feet sold at fly shops here in Canada and the price for one foot scares me. That being said, I never pass up a road killed Snowshoe Rabbit. However, the Coyotes usual get them before me though. I do have a few in my possession now that should last a while, for one foot can go a long way (no pun intended...........Ha!)

The EBay suggestion sounds to be your best bet for price though. If it's not white, don't buy it, for the hair will not be at it's best for tying.coffee1.gif

Real Snowshoe Hare is getting hard to find,,,, most is fine print Jackrabbit or Hare,,, not Snowshoe.

Shops have been told that the real deal is in very short supply.

Regards,

FK

Yes, I've seen where shops advertise "Snowshow Rabbit" - their usual sleight-of-hand.

Going by their photos, it's hard to discern if the feet are from jack rabbits or hares. The

feet lengths are similar.

The EBay suggestion sounds to be your best bet for price though. If it's not white, don't buy it, for the hair will not be at it's best for tying.

Indeed, good advice.

Always wonder what the dieing process does to materials like Hare's foot or CDC.

Always wonder what the dieing process does to materials like Hare's foot or CDC.

Hard protein hair like those are tough to dye. Easy to go too far one way and get an off color or burn some of the hair. Just like squirrel tail.

When you find good hare feet nowadays buy as many as you can because good ones are far and few between now and much more expensive than 5 years ago. Several major suppliers are no longer in business and that is what is driving the market today.

J

damn... 8 bucks. I can't tell you how many I threw away while field dressing snowshoes I killed. I tanned and saved a few nice pieces of hide though, very fine long white hair with dense light gray underfur.

damn... 8 bucks. I can't tell you how many I threw away while field dressing snowshoes I killed. I tanned and saved a few nice pieces of hide though, very fine long white hair with dense light gray underfur.

What do you use the hair for? I have 2 pelts that I'm trying to think of a use for, the hairs seem too long for dubbing. I should just take them home and experiment. I also have the feet, which I just left out in the cold for a month, They have dried nicely, and surprisingly don't smell bad. I bought a pair of rabbit feet from a fly shop last year that smell so bad the dog gets up when I bring them up from the basement.

" I have 2 pelts that I'm trying to think of a use for, the hairs seem too long for dubbing."

A Bulldog clip, the rabbit fur, and a dubbing loop makes for a nice body on larger flies.

Or build a strip cutter and use it to make lengthwise or crosscut Zonker strips.