Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bud Guidry

camera problems

howdy guys and gals, i have a question, i'm not having much luck taking nice photos of my flies. i'm pretty sure it's my digital camera. cheap one, could any of you recommend a camera i could buy in the 200.00 to 300.00 price range that would take some nice closeup photos. a make and model number wold be great. any input on this would be greatly appreciated, have a great day, Bud Guidry

You really don't need a great camera to take digital photos of your fly's, the main feature is a macro setting and most have this I believe. There have been many good posts concerning fly photography and posting do a search and I'm sure you 'll find lots of usefull info on everything from do it yourself photo booths to actually uploading them to the site. Good Luck cool.gif

The nikon 995 is the camera most publishers request you use to take macro fly shots for publishing in books. Awesome camera. They do not make them anymore but you can buy them all day long on ebay for 250 to 300 bucks. I have the nikon 4500 that replaced the 995, it does not do as good as the 995 though.

john

I don't know much about digital cameras. But I have been able to get some really good shots of my flies by getting a decent shot of a fly and then using the my image software to crop and zoom with out getting it to "pixely". I have no idea if this helps or not

Google up; Pentax WR-33. If it isn't yet, it should be the standard camera supplied to fly fishers. On top of giving fine macro shots, it's small, water resistant and as easy or complex as you want to make it. Since Pentax has already upgraded it to the WR-44, the 33 might just fall in your price range.

If you just tie and don't fish it's hard to miss with any digital as long as it has a macro feature or as long as you have good editing software.

Good hunting, Bud!

I recently bought a fujifilm s3100 at walmart for 250. it has a macro mode and a 6x optical zoom, and fairly idiot proof because i aint broke it yet. But it isnt waterproof and it is a little on the big side,im happy with it but i aint no pro either.

It has a 3x ditial zoom too.

QUOTE (Peddler @ Feb 15 2005, 09:57 PM)
Google up; Pentax WR-33. If it isn't yet, it should be the standard camera supplied to fly fishers. On top of giving fine macro shots, it's small, water resistant and as easy or complex as you want to make it. Since Pentax has already upgraded it to the WR-44, the 33 might just fall in your price range.

Hands down the best all round camera for fly fisherpeople. smile.gif It's great for taking underwater photos with out worry, macros, and has a great overall picture quality.

We recently bought a Fujifilm FinePix E510 for about $280. The camera is great. Can't say much for the software though. Finally just ended up buying a card reader for 20 bucks that lets us download the pictures onto any computer we have. solved the problem. The camrea is a 5 megapixel camera, has two macro modes (one with zoom function, one fixed focus but really tight), digital zoom, 3x optical zoom. We also inveseted in a larger xD card (512 MB) instead of the 16 MB card that came with it.

The camera has perfomed well taking macros, even without a tripod or supplemental lighting.

Mark Delaney

QUOTE (pacres @ Feb 15 2005, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Peddler @ Feb 15 2005, 09:57 PM)

Hands down the best all round camera for fly fisherpeople. smile.gif It's great for taking underwater photos with out worry, macros, and has a great overall picture quality.

If you read the fine print on that camara, it is NOT meant for underwater photography. The box it comes in displays it as such but all the literiture I have read said that it is water proof(?) only, for an accidental drop into the water . It's not meant to be operated under water. It does take macros up to 1 cm from the subject. I have a friend who has one and I hope to get a chance to test drive it soon!

well guys, thanks for all the great advise, i just bought a nikon 995 on ebay, paid 339.00 for it and it came with some extras, says it's like new but will see when it gets here. hope this works because wife might roll her eyes if i tell her i got to get another one, thanks again, Bud